The YWCA Spokane’s Alternatives to Domestic Violence program is joining forces with Verizon Wireless and Gonzaga University to help curb domestic violence with the HopeLine national phone recycling program.
YWCA supporters and Zag Fans attending the game against Portland tonight at 8 pm are encouraged to donate used wireless phones, chargers and other accessories (from any carrier) to benefit survivors of domestic violence. Drop boxes will be located around the McCarthey Center by 6:30 pm when gates open, according to a press release.
Nationally, about 10 percent of wireless phones are recycled each year. Through the HopeLine program, tons of electronic waste and batteries are kept from entering landfills—and used wireless phones, batteries and accessories from any service provider are then recycled, refurbished and sold. Verizon Wireless uses the proceeds to award grants and free wireless phones with airtime to shelters, non-profit human services and law enforcement agencies to aid survivors of domestic violence, according to a press release.
Since 2006, Washingtonians have donated 35,000 used phones per year to the Verizon Wireless HopeLine program. In 2012, the used equipment collections resulted in $400,000 in HopeLine grants, free wireless phones and airtime contributions benefitting 23 Washington shelters and domestic violence education programs.
Wireless phones and equipment can be donated to the HopeLine program year-round at any Verizon Wireless Communications Store across the country.
- Top FāVS News and Commentary of 2020 - December 31, 2020
- Pandemic’s effects on religious life, liberty named No. 1 religion story of 2020 - December 17, 2020
- Spokane Clergy Plan to Commit to Year of Anti-Racist Work - September 15, 2020
- FāVS Online Social Coming up Sept. 10 - September 4, 2020
- FāVS Forward: Helping Women & Children - August 22, 2020
- FāVS Forward: Sr. Mary Eucharista, “Hope, Peace & Healing” - August 15, 2020
- FāVS Forward: Rev. Jim Murphy “Come and See” - August 7, 2020
- Video – Coffee Talk: The Power of Words - August 1, 2020
- FāVS Forward: Rev. Heather Tadlock “Holy Agitation” - July 25, 2020
- FāVS Forward: Liv Larson Andrews, “Beautiful Tension” - July 17, 2020