YWCA Spokane is seeking nominations for its 2018 Women of Achievement Awards.
For 36 years the YWCA Spokane has celebrated successful women in the community for their achievements along with their commitment to giving back, according to a press release. The event will be marked with an annual luncheon, to be held this year at the Davenport Grand Hotel, 333 W. Spokane Falls Blvd. on Oct. 4.
This year’s luncheon will feature a keynote address from author and filmmaker Gloria Norris that will focus on domestic violence and its impact on families, particularly children. In the 10 years between 2006 and 2015, 563 people died in Washington State as a result of intimate partner violence.
Norris will speak about her childhood, which was shaped by violence, love, and ultimately, triumph. She details her life in her memoir, the Oprah Book Club selection, “Kookooland.”
The award was established with the goal of increasing community awareness and appreciation for the diverse contributions of women leaders in Spokane. YWCA Spokane has honored more than 200 women in the region at this luncheon over the years.
“Spokane is home to amazing women who are a force of positive change in our community,” Regina Malveaux, chief executive officer of YWCA Spokane said in a press release. “We are honored to provide this opportunity to recognize these women and share their examples of furthering the YWCA mission of empowering women and eliminating racism.”
Winners of a YWCA Women of Achievement Award must embody the mission of the YWCA by giving generously of themselves to make Spokane a better place for all citizens to live. They must also demonstrate leadership through their professional work or service to the community.
The YWCA encourages nominations for YWCA Women of Achievement awards in the following areas:
- Arts & Culture
- Business & Industry
- Carl Maxey Racial & Social Justice
- Community Enhancement
- Science, Technology & Environment
- Young Woman
Nomination forms may be found at ywcaspokane.org and may be completed and submitted via email email@example.com or by mail to 930 N. Monroe St., Spokane, WA 99201, Attention: Women of Achievement Awards. The deadline for submissions is June 22, 2017.
- Spokane Buddhist Temple Presents Seminar on Finding Meaning, Happiness - August 17, 2018
- Sale: Reach 25,000 like-minded readers on SpokaneFāVS.com - August 14, 2018
- Retreat teaches participants how to live as monk - August 10, 2018
- Casting Crowns to perform Christmas Concert in Spokane - August 4, 2018
- Why killing white buffalo has to end - August 4, 2018
- Next FāVS Coffee Talk to focus on Separation of Church and State - August 3, 2018
- Rally Thursday Denounces James Allsup’s Spokane visit - July 31, 2018
- Christianity Today recognizes Whitworth Professor - July 27, 2018
- Weekend events celebrate Japanese Culture - July 19, 2018
- At dinner, local priest to talk about sacred pilgrimage - July 16, 2018