YWCA Spokane is seeking nominations for its 2018 Women of Achievement Awards.
For 36 years the YWCA Spokane has celebrated successful women in the community for their achievements along with their commitment to giving back, according to a press release. The event will be marked with an annual luncheon, to be held this year at the Davenport Grand Hotel, 333 W. Spokane Falls Blvd. on Oct. 4.
This year’s luncheon will feature a keynote address from author and filmmaker Gloria Norris that will focus on domestic violence and its impact on families, particularly children. In the 10 years between 2006 and 2015, 563 people died in Washington State as a result of intimate partner violence.
Norris will speak about her childhood, which was shaped by violence, love, and ultimately, triumph. She details her life in her memoir, the Oprah Book Club selection, “Kookooland.”
The award was established with the goal of increasing community awareness and appreciation for the diverse contributions of women leaders in Spokane. YWCA Spokane has honored more than 200 women in the region at this luncheon over the years.
“Spokane is home to amazing women who are a force of positive change in our community,” Regina Malveaux, chief executive officer of YWCA Spokane said in a press release. “We are honored to provide this opportunity to recognize these women and share their examples of furthering the YWCA mission of empowering women and eliminating racism.”
Winners of a YWCA Women of Achievement Award must embody the mission of the YWCA by giving generously of themselves to make Spokane a better place for all citizens to live. They must also demonstrate leadership through their professional work or service to the community.
The YWCA encourages nominations for YWCA Women of Achievement awards in the following areas:
- Arts & Culture
- Business & Industry
- Carl Maxey Racial & Social Justice
- Community Enhancement
- Science, Technology & Environment
- Young Woman
Nomination forms may be found at ywcaspokane.org and may be completed and submitted via email email@example.com or by mail to 930 N. Monroe St., Spokane, WA 99201, Attention: Women of Achievement Awards. The deadline for submissions is June 22, 2017.
- Gonzaga To Host Civil Rights Teach-In on MLK Day - January 15, 2019
- Pulling Equal Weight: These Numbers Didn’t Lie - January 14, 2019
- Discuss the Future of Interfaith at the Feb. 2 Coffee Talk - January 12, 2019
- Will you participate in this year’s Spokane Women’s March? - January 2, 2019
- A community vigil, fighting Islamophobia and our “Ask” features were some of the top FāVS stories of 2018 - December 31, 2018
- SpokaneFāVS Presents: Ask A Catholic - December 12, 2018
- December Coffee Talk: Breaking Out of Your Echo Chambers - November 30, 2018
- Journey To Bethlehem Takes Place This Weekend on South Hill - November 28, 2018
- Support FāVS, local journalism this #GivingTuesday - November 25, 2018
- Spokane Indian Community organizes Diwali Celebration - November 23, 2018