YWCA Spokane invites the community to attend its annual Stand Against Racism event Friday, (April 26) from 11:30 a.m – 1 p.m at Empire Health Foundation’s Philanthropy Center, 1020 W Riverside Ave. in Spokane.
This month, more than 40 YWCA agencies across the nation are hosting public events that engage in dialogue that confront stereotypes and bias as a community. The goal of the annual event, according to a press release, is, “to unite our community in a bold demonstration that delivers a clear message: we are on a mission to eliminate racism.”
Each event includes opportunities to learn what community members can do as individuals and as a collective.
This year, YWCA Spokane’s ‘courageous conversation’ will align with YWCA USA’s national theme: No Hate. No Fear. Immigrant Justice is Racial Justice.
In addition to bringing awareness to the racism immigrants experience, three immigrants, living in Spokane, will share their personal experiences. Additional time will be provided for a panel discussion and a question and answer session.
“It is our responsibility to stand up for those most vulnerable and marginalized in our community, and this event gives us an opportunity to do so. We are stronger together,” said Kiana McKenna, YWCA Board Member and Co-Chair of the YWCA Spokane Racial and Social Justice Committee in a press release.
- What: YWCA Spokane’s Annual Stand Against Racism
- When: Friday, April 26 | 11:30 a.m – 1 p.m
- Where: Philanthropy Center, 1020 W Riverside Ave
- Cost: Free and open to the public
- RSVP: ywcaspokane.org/sar2019
- Questions: email@example.com | 509-789-9312
- Share: #standagainstracism
- Q&A: Council President Candidates Answer Questions About Faith, Ethics - August 2, 2019
- FāVS Coffee Talk Aug. 3 To Address Refugees in Spokane - August 2, 2019
- POEM: Mother Earth - July 22, 2019
- Come See FāVS Center — Spokane’s New Interfaith Community Center — At June 22 Open House - June 21, 2019
- VIDEO: Stewardship and FāVS Center - May 28, 2019
- VIDEO: Update on FāVS Center - May 23, 2019
- Final Phase of Funding Needed to Open Interfaith Center in Spokane - May 21, 2019
- Group plans to protest abortion-ban today in downtown Spokane - May 21, 2019
- YWCA Spokane Calls for 2019 Women of Achievement Nominations - May 18, 2019
- Vigil Tuesday aims to “Heal Spokane Valley’s Image” - May 13, 2019