Our community faces growing challenges around the topic of homelessness, and the Union Gospel Mission, Family Promise, and Adult & Teen Challenge have partnered together to host a summit on World Homeless Day to discuss the realities of homelessness and solutions available.
The summit will take place on Oct. 10, from 4-6:30 p.m., at the DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel, 322 N Spokane Falls Court.
“We mark World Homeless Day to remember that our neighbors experiencing homelessness are real people, created by God for a greater purpose than mere survival on the streets,” according to the UGM webpage about the event. “In light of the growing debate about our community response to homelessness, we invite one and all to consider what it really means to help, and to embrace solutions that promote real change.”
Speakers at the summit and their topics will be:
- Tyson West, executive director of Adult & Teen Challenge—”Mercy of Consequences”
- Dr. Mark Baird, clinical psychologist in field of trauma and Whitworth University assistant professor—”Car Alarm in the Brain”
- Ed and Gail Stevenson, founders of Life Recovery Solutions—”Effects of Addiction”
- Joe Ader, executive director of Family Promise of Spokane—”Restored Community”
- John Repsold, founder and senior pastor of Mosaic Fellowship—”Relief vs. Development”
- Phil Altmeyer, executive director of Union Gospel Mission—”Enabling vs. Empowering”
In addition to the summit, UGM will spend time earlier in the day to form groups that will hold signs at busy intersections. They want to do this to promote the idea that homeless people are people first, unique individuals created in the image of God, with the goal of offering them a better life than panhandling.
Individuals interested in participating will meet at UGM, from 8 a.m.-noon, to form groups and get intersection assignments. Call 509-535-8510 or email firstname.lastname@example.org to sign up.
If you are interested in attending the summit or want more information, visit UGM’s World Homeless Day registration link.
- Grace is the Antidote of Distrust and Division - December 4, 2019
- New Memoir by Former Member of Westboro Baptist Church Is a Surprisingly Beautiful Love Story - November 20, 2019
- Joshua and the Battle of Jericho—Did it Happen as the Bible Records? - October 29, 2019
- Wonderfully Made Aims to Bring Dialogue, Understanding about LGBTQ Persons of Faith - October 16, 2019
- Catholic Parishes Invite Community to Prayerful Witness Event for Immigrants - October 1, 2019
- World Homeless Day Summit Will Discuss Realities and Solutions to Spokane’s Homelessness - September 28, 2019
- 40 Days for Life’s Fall Prayer Vigil to End Abortion Begins This Week - September 23, 2019
- Christopher Yuan, author of “Holy Sexuality and the Gospel,” Comes to Spokane for Path of Life Fall Event - September 11, 2019
- Christopher Yuan Talks about the Evangelical Christian Church’s Witness to the LGBTQ+ Community - September 11, 2019
- Poor People’s Campaign Organizes Task Force in Spokane - September 5, 2019