By now, most of us are aware of the story of the person who stiffed the waitress at Applebees and left a note saying, “I give God 10 percent Why do you get 18?” and made a point of signing “Pastor” as part of her name. When the picture of what she wrote went viral, she contacted Applebee’s, identified herself as the person who stiffed the waitress (my phrase, not hers obviously) and demanded that the waitress and all the managers be fired for embarrassing! And Applebee’s actually fired the waitress!
The story involves some important details that are often ignored in the online ‘conversations’. This was a “large” party. An 18 percent (or higher) tip is automatically added in for parties larger than about six or eight, at many restaurants, including this one. That notice is posted in the menu so people see it before they order. In the age of computers, restaurants are happy to prepare separate checks for such groups. (A service that was NOT offered when I worked waiting tables.) So making an issue of whether an 18 percent tip is reasonable is a red herring.
I posted a link to the story on my Facebook page lamenting that, once again, someone claiming to be a Christian does something that makes us all look bad. The next thing I knew I was being taken to task by two Facebook friends (who happen to be relatives, otherwise they would not be Facebook friends) for Christian bashing. This is not an isolated incident. Whenever I take my fellow Christians to task for misbehavior these and other fundamentalist Christians accuse me of Christian bashing.
- Accountability is Not Justice - April 20, 2021
- An Epiphany Eclipsed - January 9, 2021
- To Pardon or Not to Pardon (Trump) - November 19, 2020
- The Evil of What-About-ism - May 15, 2020
- Moral Implications of Responses to Current Pandemic - April 30, 2020
- Helping Build the New Local Based Economy - April 16, 2020
- Give up my life…to save my life - March 9, 2018
- VIEWPOINTS: What does healing look like to you? - February 14, 2018
- Viewpoints: Religious leaders and politics - November 20, 2017
- Trump will not be leader of “the free world” - November 12, 2016