The Whitworth Institute of Ministry will welcome author the Rev. Mary Hulst to its 43rd conference, to be held July 23-27, 2018, at Whitworth University.
The theme will be “Old Testament Stories for Ministerial Challenges Today” and will offer participants five days of fellowship, worship and scriptural teaching, according to a press release.
Hulst has served as a college chaplain since 2009. She spent eight years serving as the senior pastor at Eastern Avenue Christian Reformed Church in Grand Rapids, Michigan, before leaving to pursue a Ph.D. in communication ethics from the University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign. She currently preaches weekly at the Calvin College LOFT service for students and also lectures around the country on preaching, teaches workshops for preachers, and consults with churches and search committees on how to listen to sermons. She is the author of “A Little Handbook for Preachers.”
During WIM 2018, the following workshops will take place:
- Nicholas Warnes: “Planting New Churches/Worshipping Communities
- Mark Finney, Bob Savage & Matthew Soerens: “Hospitality with Refugees & Immigrants”
- Ben Brody: “Crafting & Choosing Words for Worship”
- Mark Oestreicher: “Intergenerational Youth Ministry”
- Mindy Smith, Ron Pyle & Erik Peterson: “Preaching & Teaching Scripture”
This year’s Bible Hour will focus on what it means to live as Christians in a post-Christendom culture. Each session during Bible Hour will focus on one theme in Colossians 3:12-17 and explore what it means to understand and apply this text to the current cultural context.
- Tuesday: “Wearing Virtue,” featuring Joshua Leim / Colossians 3:12-13
- Wednesday: “Living in Love,” featuring Haley Jacob / Colossians 3:14-15
- Thursday: “Imbibing the Word,” featuring Jerry Sittser / Colossians 3:16
- Friday: “Doing Everything in the Name of Christ,” featuring Jim Edwards / Colossians 3:17
The public is invited to attend evening worship Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday and Thursday nights at 7 p.m. in Cowles Auditorium. For details on the WIM conference and to register click here.
- Weekend events celebrate Japanese Culture - July 19, 2018
- At dinner, local priest to talk about sacred pilgrimage - July 16, 2018
- Whitworth Institute of Ministry Conference Set for July 23-27 - July 12, 2018
- New dean to serve St. John’s Cathedral - July 8, 2018
- Upcoming YWCA event to raise funds for Domestic Violence Safe Shelter - July 2, 2018
- Nuns slated to speak at The Mac about Buddhism in the Northwest - June 13, 2018
- Ven. Chodron from Sravasti Abbey releases book with Dalai Llama - May 23, 2018
- June Coffee Talk to address #MeToo - May 19, 2018
- St. Andrews, West Central Episcopal Mission to Celebrate New Priest on Sunday - May 18, 2018
- YWCA Spokane wants to honor women who make Spokane a better place for all citizens - May 9, 2018