The Whitworth Institute of Ministry will welcome author the Rev. Mary Hulst to its 43rd conference, to be held July 23-27, 2018, at Whitworth University.
The theme will be “Old Testament Stories for Ministerial Challenges Today” and will offer participants five days of fellowship, worship and scriptural teaching, according to a press release.
Hulst has served as a college chaplain since 2009. She spent eight years serving as the senior pastor at Eastern Avenue Christian Reformed Church in Grand Rapids, Michigan, before leaving to pursue a Ph.D. in communication ethics from the University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign. She currently preaches weekly at the Calvin College LOFT service for students and also lectures around the country on preaching, teaches workshops for preachers, and consults with churches and search committees on how to listen to sermons. She is the author of “A Little Handbook for Preachers.”
During WIM 2018, the following workshops will take place:
- Nicholas Warnes: “Planting New Churches/Worshipping Communities
- Mark Finney, Bob Savage & Matthew Soerens: “Hospitality with Refugees & Immigrants”
- Ben Brody: “Crafting & Choosing Words for Worship”
- Mark Oestreicher: “Intergenerational Youth Ministry”
- Mindy Smith, Ron Pyle & Erik Peterson: “Preaching & Teaching Scripture”
This year’s Bible Hour will focus on what it means to live as Christians in a post-Christendom culture. Each session during Bible Hour will focus on one theme in Colossians 3:12-17 and explore what it means to understand and apply this text to the current cultural context.
- Tuesday: “Wearing Virtue,” featuring Joshua Leim / Colossians 3:12-13
- Wednesday: “Living in Love,” featuring Haley Jacob / Colossians 3:14-15
- Thursday: “Imbibing the Word,” featuring Jerry Sittser / Colossians 3:16
- Friday: “Doing Everything in the Name of Christ,” featuring Jim Edwards / Colossians 3:17
The public is invited to attend evening worship Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday and Thursday nights at 7 p.m. in Cowles Auditorium. For details on the WIM conference and to register click here.
- City continues work on network of Warming Centers - November 19, 2018
- December Coffee Talk: Breaking Out of Your Echo Chambers - November 15, 2018
- Consider Advertising With FāVS, reach a targeted, loyal audience - November 13, 2018
- Salvation Army of Spokane kicks off holiday support programs - November 11, 2018
- POLL: The votes are in – What’s your reaction? - November 7, 2018
- A Washington state lawmaker’s notes on ‘biblical’ war threaten his re-election bid - November 5, 2018
- Faith Action Network to hold fundraiser this month at Glover Mansion - November 4, 2018
- Spokane gathers with Jewish community to honor synagogue shooting victims - October 30, 2018
- Community Vigil to be held Tuesday in response to Synagogue shooting - October 28, 2018
- Spokane Chefs Partner with Feed the Children to Help End Childhood Hunger - October 26, 2018