As part of the Unitarian Universalist General Assembly 2019 meeting taking place in Spokane, the Unitarian Universalist Justice Ministry of California and the Diverse Revolutionary Unitarian Universalist Multicultural Ministries will host a screening of “Immigrant Prisons” at the Magic Lantern Theatre.
This screening will take place on Saturday, June 22, from 3 p.m.-5:30 p.m., and it is free and open to the public.
After the screening, the community will be invited to engage in dialogue and discussion about the realities of America’s immigrant prison system, and the role of faith in dismantling oppression, with local organizations that support detained immigrants and asylum seekers.
According to a press release about the event, “Most Americans are unaware of immigrant prisons, or of the conditions within these prisons. This documentary was made to address that issue.”
With the current surge of anti-immigrant rhetoric, stock in the prison industry is rising and more ICE agents are being hired to patrol communities and lock up immigrants. This means that more people are being detained every day and forced to live for days, weeks, or months in unsustainable conditions.
This film screening is an opportunity to begin discussions about immigration and the justice system.
The screening comes on the heels of a massive protest yesterday, where hundreds of Unitarians rallied in downtown Spokane to oppose a new jail.
For more information, email Tahil at firstname.lastname@example.org or Ranwa at email@example.com.
- In Defense of a Literal Bible Interpretation Part 2: What It Is and Why It’s the Best Method for the Christian - August 17, 2019
- In Defense of a Literal Bible Interpretation Part 1: Intro and A Little of My Story - August 10, 2019
- I Will Not Look Away - June 29, 2019
- Faith Action Network Brings Spring Summit to Spokane - June 28, 2019
- Unitarians Assemble in Spokane, Address Immigrant Prison System With Film Screening - June 21, 2019
- Summer Brings Vacation Bible Schools and Other Day Camps to Spokane and North Idaho - June 12, 2019
- Free dental clinic opened in Spokane by Seventh-day Adventist Church - May 26, 2019
- Two Men. Two Journeys. One Ramadan. - May 15, 2019
- Let’s Be a More Gracious Community Toward One Another’s Freedoms - April 18, 2019
- Agreeing to Disagree Agreeably - April 1, 2019