No. With no fries; no ketchup; no Ranch dressing on the side; no super size it; no passing Go and getting $200: NO.
No, I do not believe in the Second Coming of Christ. I barely believe in the first coming of Christ.
I think it induces entirely too much fear: do this/don't do this or I'll smite you!
The merits living a life filled with integrity, kindness and compassion are many. Acknowledging mistakes, working towards improving rather than wallowing — these are what I strive for. I don't respond well to ultimatums, because people in my life have abused that tactic for behavior motivation. Rather than living in fear of some imagined retribution in the afterlife, I would absolutely rather live this life with kindness, integrity, humor, and some humility.
Although, the Apocalypse makes for some great Munchkin games, movies, fiction! (From the movie Dogma: PA Announcer: [at St. Michael's hospital] I repeat: this is not a drill. This is the Apocalypse. Please exit the hospital in an orderly fashion.)
- Probably no prayer at public meetings - April 28, 2014
- The idea of a personal God is troubling - March 10, 2014
- Ethical spending: Eat your vegetables! - October 3, 2013
- Keep food prayers short! - September 3, 2013
- How would atheist chaplains be ordained? - August 26, 2013
- Evil exists because we allow it - August 19, 2013
- The Second Coming induces too much fear - August 5, 2013
- Government is meant to get in man’s way - June 24, 2013
- If we cared about where our “stuff” came from, the world be profoundly different - June 10, 2013
- Stewardship is maintaining what you’ve been given - May 14, 2013