Spirituality, serpents and social media: Why do 20-something Pentecostals in Appalachia still handle snakes in church in the 21st century?
SpokaneFāVS in collaboration with the Gonzaga Center for Community Engagement is hosting Julia Duin next month to discuss this topic. As Duin said her most recent book, “In the House of the Serpent Handler”
“In the House of the Serpent Handler: A Story of Faith and Fleeting Fame in the Age of Social Media, offers an intimate and engrossing look at the latest generation of Pentecostal believers who “take up” venomous snakes as a test of their religious faith. Focusing on several preachers and their families in six Appalachian states, journalist Julia C. Duin explores the impact that such twenty-first-century phenomena as social media and “reality television” have had on rituals long practiced in obscurity.”
Duin is an accomplished writer and journalist who has worked for five newspapers, written five books, along with more magazine articles than she can count.
Join us Saturday, May 5 at 2 p.m. at Gonzaga University in the Hemmingson Center as Duin shares about her book. As this is a fundraiser for FāVS, we are asking for a $10 donation at the door. Students can get in for free.
In the House of the Serpent will be available for purchase at the event.
If everyone who reads and appreciates FāVS, helps fund it, we can provide more events like this. For as little as $5, you can support FāVS – and it only takes a minute. Thank you.
- What FāVS taught me about tolerance - May 29, 2018
- The drawbacks of short-term mission trips - April 17, 2018
- SpokaneFāVS brings author Julia Duin to Spokane for talk on Pentecostals, social media and snake handling - April 9, 2018
- New Understandings of the Lenten Season - February 22, 2018
- Distance to the Border - January 30, 2018
- 2017 Spokane Area Christmas Services - December 24, 2017
- Churches offer Blue Christmas services for those feeling down this holiday season - December 20, 2017
- Forgiveness in the Political Sphere…Not a joke - November 13, 2017
- The Underestimated Power of Prayer - October 4, 2017