Eleven inter-faith clergy met with six command staff of the Spokane City Police Department on Monday at All Saints Lutheran Church. The discussion centered on the basis of mistrust between the public and the police, and how an inter-faith group could work with SPD in promoting better communications, and relationship building.
This group would be working on building bridges in a two-way effort with the SPD. Various ideas around outreach, education and friendship building were discussed. The clergy were asked to consider forming an advisory group for the police. This is still in exploratory phase, such a group might have a focus on healthy communities, social justice and open dialogue.
Mistrust of law enforcement is not unique to Spokane. Sensational stories, the viewpoints of reporting by news agencies, and lack of quality communication all influence public opinion. We hear in the media of the negative mostly, however the police department gets good feedback as well. The SPD has its own Facebook page and website, and is working to address these things. There are many ways that communication and relationship building could be improved and it is in this light that we decided to move forward.
Another meeting will be scheduled for mid-March, with the hope that many more faith based leaders be in attendance. Police Chief Frank Straub is planning to be at the next meeting as well.
- We need to do something, soon, about violence - January 28, 2016
- Advocate for people, even when they’re unpredictable - July 24, 2015
- What are we going to do about America’s money immorality problem? - February 3, 2015
- Spokane Faith Community Brings Hope, Compassion and Human Contact to Spokane’s Mentally Ill - December 1, 2014
- Citizens of this world - July 23, 2014
- 042914 quote - April 29, 2014
- Finding my sacred calling, finally - April 25, 2014
- “God will use me to change the world” - February 17, 2014
- How to start a Luther-worthy reformation - October 30, 2013
- Why the economic system in the U.S. no longer works - September 23, 2013