Simple changes practiced consistently can yield major life-giving transformations. According to a press release, this is the deep heart of monastic living and a major focus of “Living as a Monk in Everyday Life” with Sister Teresa Jackson, a nine-month Benedictine spirituality cohort program at Spirit Center at the Monastery of St. Gertrude.
It begins with a week-long retreat September 10-16 at the monastery, located in Cottonwood, Idaho. Then, over the next nine months participants will take online classes in Benedictine spirituality, participate in online discussions with other participants, explore suggested readings and do regular integration/reflection exercises. The program will consist of four separate units:
- The spiritual journey;
- Benedictine prayer;
- Values and structures of Benedictine life;
- Reading the Rule of Benedict.
Sister Teresa was inspired to create the program several years ago after observing the number of lay people who are drawn to Benedictine spirituality but who don’t have opportunities for in-depth, structured formation.
“The cohort is an opportunity for like-minded people to journey together as they develop a monastic lifestyle in the midst of a society that doesn’t understand this call,” she said in an announcement.
Participation in the program will be limited to eight people who will be accepted through an application process. A donation of $1,500 will cover the retreats, food, lodging and program costs after acceptance into the cohort program.
To apply, or for information, call (208) 962-3224.
If everyone who reads and appreciates FāVS, helps fund it, we can provide more content like this. For as little as $5, you can support FāVS – and it only takes a minute. Thank you.
- December Coffee Talk: Breaking Out of Your Echo Chambers - November 30, 2018
- Journey To Bethlehem Takes Place This Weekend on South Hill - November 28, 2018
- Support FāVS, local journalism this #GivingTuesday - November 25, 2018
- Spokane Indian Community organizes Diwali Celebration - November 23, 2018
- City continues work on network of Warming Centers - November 19, 2018
- Consider Advertising With FāVS, reach a targeted, loyal audience - November 13, 2018
- Salvation Army of Spokane kicks off holiday support programs - November 11, 2018
- POLL: The votes are in – What’s your reaction? - November 7, 2018
- A Washington state lawmaker’s notes on ‘biblical’ war threaten his re-election bid - November 5, 2018
- Faith Action Network to hold fundraiser this month at Glover Mansion - November 4, 2018