Religion cannot be categorized as good or bad.
Religion at its best offers spiritual community, guidance and inspiration. It can bring people together to be better than we would be left on our own. It can nurture us.
Religion at its worst does incalculable harm. It creates bigotry and conflict. It encourages a sense of a superior 'in group'. It has been used as an excuse for war, torture, and oppression.
Religion is our human attempt to understand the meaning of life. Sometimes we do it well, and sometimes we do it badly.
- Accountability is Not Justice - April 20, 2021
- An Epiphany Eclipsed - January 9, 2021
- To Pardon or Not to Pardon (Trump) - November 19, 2020
- The Evil of What-About-ism - May 15, 2020
- Moral Implications of Responses to Current Pandemic - April 30, 2020
- Helping Build the New Local Based Economy - April 16, 2020
- Give up my life…to save my life - March 9, 2018
- VIEWPOINTS: What does healing look like to you? - February 14, 2018
- Viewpoints: Religious leaders and politics - November 20, 2017
- Trump will not be leader of “the free world” - November 12, 2016