It’s looking to be another agonistic Spokane City Council meeting tonight as pro-lifers and pro-choicers gear up to talk about the protestors that frequent the local Planned Parenthood.
In Spokane it’s illegal to block sidewalks and obstruct vehicular traffic, but it’s currently OK to block driveways. Anti-abortion demonstrators commonly block the driveway at Planned Parenthood and surround the area with megaphones and signs, according to witnesses.
At 6 p.m. tonight the council will deliberate an ordinance sponsored by Council Member Candace Mumm, which would prohibit protestors from blocking business driveways. Mumm explained that the ordinance applies to all business driveways, not just Planned Parenthood’s, though that’s a specific location frequented by protestors.
Conservative Council Member Mike Fagan said in The Inlander that he expects those opposing the ordinance to show up at tonight’s meeting, and Planned Parenthood of Greater Washington and North Idaho is calling for those who support the ordinance to come and show support.
Are you in favor of the ordinance? Why or why not?
- FāVS Forward: Rev. Jim Murphy “Come and See” - August 7, 2020
- Video – Coffee Talk: The Power of Words - August 1, 2020
- FāVS Forward: Rev. Heather Tadlock “Holy Agitation” - July 25, 2020
- FāVS Forward: Liv Larson Andrews, “Beautiful Tension” - July 17, 2020
- Director of Quaker Retreat Center to be Digital Guest at Friends Church - July 13, 2020
- YWCA Spokane Calls for Women of Achievement Nominations - July 9, 2020
- VIDEO: Coffee Talk “The Value of Human Connection” - June 5, 2020
- Inslee Issues Guidelines for Resuming Religious Services in Spokane - May 28, 2020
- FāVS Forward Podcast: Rabbi Tamar Malino “Full Life Cycle” - May 22, 2020
- FāVS Forward Podcast: Pastor Joe Wittwer “When Life Gives You Lemons” - May 16, 2020