It’s looking to be another agonistic Spokane City Council meeting tonight as pro-lifers and pro-choicers gear up to talk about the protestors that frequent the local Planned Parenthood.
In Spokane it’s illegal to block sidewalks and obstruct vehicular traffic, but it’s currently OK to block driveways. Anti-abortion demonstrators commonly block the driveway at Planned Parenthood and surround the area with megaphones and signs, according to witnesses.
At 6 p.m. tonight the council will deliberate an ordinance sponsored by Council Member Candace Mumm, which would prohibit protestors from blocking business driveways. Mumm explained that the ordinance applies to all business driveways, not just Planned Parenthood’s, though that’s a specific location frequented by protestors.
Conservative Council Member Mike Fagan said in The Inlander that he expects those opposing the ordinance to show up at tonight’s meeting, and Planned Parenthood of Greater Washington and North Idaho is calling for those who support the ordinance to come and show support.
Are you in favor of the ordinance? Why or why not?
- “Celebrate Curiosity” Art Contest Deadline Approaching May 12 - May 8, 2021
- Take This FāVS Survey & You Could Win a FāVS T-Shirt - April 23, 2021
- VIDEO: Coffee Talk “The Role of Holidays in Different Faith Traditions” - April 5, 2021
- Rally To Be Held in Downtown Spokane Saturday “To Stop Asian Hate” - March 19, 2021
- The Fig Tree Benefits March 5 and 10 To Be Held Virtual - February 28, 2021
- Temple Beth Shalom Vandalized with Swastikas - February 8, 2021
- Top FāVS News and Commentary of 2020 - December 31, 2020
- Pandemic’s effects on religious life, liberty named No. 1 religion story of 2020 - December 17, 2020
- Spokane Clergy Plan to Commit to Year of Anti-Racist Work - September 15, 2020
- FāVS Online Social Coming up Sept. 10 - September 4, 2020