(RNS) In another sign that America is a diverse country, a new poll reveals that 1 in 5 U.S. adults grew up in a family with more than one religion.
The poll, conducted by the Pew Research Center, also found that of those raised this way, most had one Protestant or Catholic parent and one religiously unaffiliated — sometimes called a “none” — parent.
“To be sure, religiously mixed backgrounds remain the exception in America,” the report on the poll states. “But the number of Americans raised in interfaith homes appears to be growing.”
That’s because more millennials — 27 percent — are raised in religiously mixed homes than any other generation to date. And about the same number of young people — 24 percent — say they were raised by at least one parent who did not have a religious affiliation.
The poll also revealed:
- Those raised by at least one parent with no religious affiliation are more likely to be unaffiliated themselves (60 percent) — the same retention rate as those raised by Catholic parents.
- Children with two Catholic parents are more likely to remain Catholic (62 percent). But those raised with only one Catholic parent have a 50-50 chance of being Catholic as adults.
- Eighty percent of those raised in a Protestant-only home remain Protestants — but that number drops to 56 percent if one parent is a religious none. In either case, there is a lot of “religious switching” in Protestant families, as only one-quarter of those raised by at least one Protestant parent remains in that parent’s denomination.
- More people say their mother, rather than their father, was mostly responsible for their religious upbringing; and those raised in mixed-faith homes are more likely to identify with their mother’s faith.
The study was conducted among 5,000 U.S. adults and has a margin of error of 2.0 percentage points.
- Mormons in space: Sci-fi or no lie? - July 26, 2017
- Sioux tribe receives land from South Dakota Jesuits - May 10, 2017
- Judgment day? Trump and religion at the 100-day mark - April 28, 2017
- New study shows number of American atheists underreported - April 18, 2017
- ‘Glitter Ash Wednesday’ sparkles for LGBT Christians and others - February 14, 2017
- One-fifth of Americans raised in religiously mixed homes - October 26, 2016
- Salt Lake’s first lesbian mayor weds amid resignations from LDS church - August 17, 2016
- Randall and Vashti Cunningham: God and games are the family business - August 16, 2016
- Faith at the Olympics: Does it give an athlete an edge? - August 11, 2016
- Trump is conning believers about his faith, author says - August 10, 2016