Epictetus said, “Content yourself with being a lover of wisdom, a seeker of the truth.” One could say this is the very purpose of Ryan Downie's life. What drives him, he said, is knowledge and understanding, an insatiable desire to learn.
“Truth has always been important to me. I was raised in the evangelical Christian tradition and became a Christian at a very young age,” he said. “By the time I graduated high school I believed the ministry was my calling, specifically theology and apologetics. But in my pursuit of truth, knowledge and understanding I began to harbor deep doubts and ironically Bible college became something of an incubator for those doubts.”
Instead Downie began to focus his studies on science, philosophy and logic and as a consequence of these studies said he fell in love with the beautiful and rigorous world of mathematics.
Read his full bio here.
- Spokane Clergy Plan to Commit to Year of Anti-Racist Work - September 15, 2020
- FāVS Online Social Coming up Sept. 10 - September 4, 2020
- FāVS Forward: Helping Women & Children - August 22, 2020
- FāVS Forward: Sr. Mary Eucharista, “Hope, Peace & Healing” - August 15, 2020
- FāVS Forward: Rev. Jim Murphy “Come and See” - August 7, 2020
- Video – Coffee Talk: The Power of Words - August 1, 2020
- FāVS Forward: Rev. Heather Tadlock “Holy Agitation” - July 25, 2020
- FāVS Forward: Liv Larson Andrews, “Beautiful Tension” - July 17, 2020
- Director of Quaker Retreat Center to be Digital Guest at Friends Church - July 13, 2020
- YWCA Spokane Calls for Women of Achievement Nominations - July 9, 2020