By Mark Azzara
I met God the other day.
She was, I estimate, 3 years old. Standing in the grocery cart manned by her dad, who was just standing still for a moment near the snack bar, the child did something utterly stunning.
She waved at each passerby who was heading for the door, smiled broadly and said, “Hi.”
And everyone who heard her replied with a wave, a smile, and their own version of “Hi.”
Rarely do you see this kind of disarming friendship and affection. The child didn’t seem to care if the person noticed and responded (and a few, who didn’t hear her above the din continued walking). She just kept it up. A wave, a smile and “Hi.” To everyone, bar none.
What struck me with equal force, however, was the instantaneous change among those who did hear and respond. Their dour or expressionless faces lit up. A smile, a wave, and their own version of “Hi.” The response was as irrepressible as the gift was unexpected.
I witnessed miracle after miracle occurring right in front of me as I stood in the snack-bar line. It was the resurrection miracle of people being raised from the dead – the raising of joyful, kind, appreciative people who had been buried alive beneath a pile of their own little problems, rushed schedules and/or various other distractions.
God is the doer of miracles. And to see customer after customer change in a flash from harried to joyful was truly a miracle.
I wonder if those deeply blessed customers will remember that child’s greeting some day when life is hard – remember it, smile once again and be thankful for that gift. That would be a miracle, too – another sign of God in their midst.
All God’s blessings – Mark
If everyone who reads and appreciates FāVS, helps fund it, we can provide more content like this. For as little as $5, you can support FāVS – and it only takes a minute. Thank you.
- Intelligent life? Really? - February 16, 2019
- Be nice. It’s important. - January 31, 2019
- Law or Religion: The Never-ending Debate - January 24, 2019
- Don’t Choose Rational Ignorance - January 18, 2019
- Who, or what, am I? - December 27, 2018
- My Christmas Gifts to God - December 17, 2018
- King Kong Amazon - December 9, 2018
- You can. Will you? - November 29, 2018
- A Serious Question for you About Football - November 14, 2018
- Save now, spend later? - November 6, 2018