I’ve been raised a Protestant my whole life and have a strong faith. My family members are also very dedicated in their faith. My boyfriend, on the other hand, is Catholic. My dad constantly tells my brothers and I that we should marry someone who has the same beliefs and religion. I tried telling him that Catholics believe the same thing but he disagrees. I guess I don’t understand where the religions disagree so much that he would be so concerned. How should I show him that they are the same? Do you have any advice or information as to things I should talk to him about?
Thank you for your time!
I think you’re strong enough to fight this through. If you truly love your boyfriend and if your boyfriend truly loves you, you’ll get through this situation and you’ll love one another even more, because this resistance will show you that you really care for one another.
Catholics and Protestants have many things in common like the apostles and the Nicene Creed, the bible and baptism!
However, I do not want to undermine the differences. They can be summed up in three terms: the pope or the view of authority in the church; the Eucharist or the entire sacramental understanding of the church; and Mary, mother of the church. As you see, three times, the word “church” popped up! The misunderstandings turn all around the church, not Christ or the trinity. This spring I’ll teach a seminar entitled “Catholic and Protestant Theologies in Dialogue.” That would be the right class for you at this moment of your life!
Dr. Karin Heller is a professor on the theology faculty at Whitworth University. Her blog, Table Talk with Dr. Karin Heller, features her responses to questions that students have asked her over the years. Check back each week to see new posts, and if you have a question leave it in the comment section below.
- Does God view a certain race as his holy people? - April 24, 2012
- Are there people who have better seats in heaven than others? - April 19, 2012
- Why do we pray to stay in this sinful world? - April 10, 2012
- Are men better in certain areas of ministry while women are better in others? - April 3, 2012
- Is it enough to confront evil with prayer? - March 27, 2012
- Is the Bible open to the perspective of the person reading it? - March 20, 2012
- There’s more than one atonement theory? - March 14, 2012
- Why do so many Christians spend time and money on false instruction based on the Book of Revelation? - March 6, 2012
- How should we deal with divorced and remarried people? - February 29, 2012
- Is homosexuality OK in Jesus’ eyes? - February 23, 2012