In honor of American civil rights icon Martin Luther King, Jr., Gonzaga University will host a “Teach-in on Civil Rights in Spokane” from 12:15-2:30 p.m. in the Hemmingson Center Ballroom (third floor) on Martin Luther King Jr. Day, Jan. 21.
The program, titled “Historic Perspectives & the Fierce Urgency of Now,” is sponsored by Gonzaga’s Center for Community Engagement and Gonzaga’s Unity Multicultural Education Center. Gonzaga students, faculty and staff will attend the MLK march and rally downtown and return to campus for the teach-in, according to a press release.
Members of the public are invited to attend the teach-in, however, space is limited and registration is required. RSVP: https://bit.ly/2PAzHyg
The teach-in event includes the following presentations:
12:15-1 p.m. — Fair Housing Act & Housing Policy in Spokane
- Presented by Rick Eichstaedt and Logan Camporeale. Eichstaedt is director of Gonzaga’s Environmental Law and Land Use Clinic and a GU Law School professor; Camporeale is a local public historian.
1:05-2 p.m. — Life, Legacy & Contemporary Impact of Local Civil Rights Leader Carl Maxey
- “History and Legacy” presented by Spokane attorney Dennis Cronin.
- “Bringing this Home: Our Current Landscape” presented by Sandy Williams, publisher of the Black Lens newspaper in Spokane.
2:05-2:30 p.m. — Panel w/all Speakers
- The speakers will discuss their involvement in community activism and social justice and respond to questions.
- Q&A: Council President Candidates Answer Questions About Faith, Ethics - August 2, 2019
- FāVS Coffee Talk Aug. 3 To Address Refugees in Spokane - August 2, 2019
- POEM: Mother Earth - July 22, 2019
- Come See FāVS Center — Spokane’s New Interfaith Community Center — At June 22 Open House - June 21, 2019
- VIDEO: Stewardship and FāVS Center - May 28, 2019
- VIDEO: Update on FāVS Center - May 23, 2019
- Final Phase of Funding Needed to Open Interfaith Center in Spokane - May 21, 2019
- Group plans to protest abortion-ban today in downtown Spokane - May 21, 2019
- YWCA Spokane Calls for 2019 Women of Achievement Nominations - May 18, 2019
- Vigil Tuesday aims to “Heal Spokane Valley’s Image” - May 13, 2019