Students in a Gonzaga University art seminar class will assist local artist Ellen Picken in painting a mural this weekend on the nonprofit restaurant “Fresh Soul,” which is being developed in the East Central neighborhood. Art Professor Shalon Parker is preparing the 22 students for the job by teaching them the history of mural painting in America, according to a press release.
“Fresh Soul” will employ local youth to provide them with skills and job experience. Michael Brown, founder and president of the Spokane Eastside Reunion Association, is spearheading the restaurant project as one way for the organization to address its mission to “restore and promote a revitalized sense of community” in city neighborhoods.
“God is making all of this possible,” Brown said in a press release.
“This mural for Fresh Soul reflects the desire of Gonzaga students to truly remain in solidarity with others,” said senior Rebecca Padilla in a news release. “The mural celebrates the vibrancy and diversity of its community, and I’m so excited to be involved in its completion.”
The Gonzaga students will paint the mural on the Fresh Soul building, located at 3029 E. Fifth Ave., from 9 a.m.-3 p.m., Saturday, Sept. 26 and Sunday, Sept. 27. The public is invited to help.
- VIDOE – Coffee Talk: Responding To Hate & Violence, Part 2 - August 7, 2022
- Now Hiring: Freelance Reporters - August 2, 2022
- Seeking Local Human Rights Champions - July 26, 2022
- Gonzaga offers $500 prize to person or organization countering hatred￼ - July 23, 2022
- VIDEO! Pop up Coffee Talk: Roe v Wade & Scotus – How my Faith Tells me to Respond - July 20, 2022
- How one church is staying “Grounded” - June 28, 2022
- Some Celebrate, Some Vow to Fight Back: Spokane Responds to Reversal of Roe V. Wade - June 24, 2022
- I am learning that ‘being’ is more compelling than ‘doing’ - May 16, 2022
- A tribute to my source, and friend, Pastor Andy CastroLang, who will retire this year - April 18, 2022
- At Upcoming Hybrid Event Panelist Will Discuss “Separate Histories, Common Challenges” - February 23, 2022