God calls who he calls, when he calls and that should be the foundation of New Testament ministry.
Galatians 1:1, “This letter is from Paul, an apostle. I was not appointed by any group of people or any human authority, but by Jesus Christ himself and by God the Father, who raised Jesus from the dead.”
“In the last days,' God says, 'I will pour out my Spirit upon all people. Your sons and daughters will prophesy. Your young men will see visions, and your old men will dream dreams,” Acts 2:17.
But the call and the confirmation of that call pan out differently in leadership functions. God's ministry gifts are freely given and gifts make room for a call. We are all called to exercise kingdom ministry and mission as “Kings & Priests” in the New Covenant.
“You are worthy to take the scroll, and to open its seals;
For You were slain, and have redeemed us to God by Your blood
Out of every tribe and tongue and people and nation,
And have made us kings and priests to our God;
And we shall reign on the earth.”
Too much time is wasted trying to legitimize one's call and often the zeal, fruit and divine life of that Spirit born call of an empowered, sent-mission gets dissipated through the human erected birth canals of traditions, education and ecclesiastical hoops.
We need more people like Richard Foster described as:
“Lone like the Tishbite, like the baptist, bold;
cast in a rare and apostolic mold.”
If your called God will confirm that call in fruit and the doors will open. God always places who he equips to serve, when faith is working through love.
- 16 New Testament guiding principles on giving - October 6, 2016
- Men, Gilgamesh & the call of the Wild - September 15, 2016
- Flat Tires, Flannery O’Conner and a Bigot Barber - August 18, 2016
- Feeding the hungry unawares - August 10, 2016
- ISIS, the DNC and the Martyrdom of Father Jacques Hamel in France - July 26, 2016
- Making America Wait Again - July 19, 2016
- Viewpoints: How can faith communities help ease racial tensions? - July 18, 2016
- Are the Barbarians at the Gates? - July 15, 2016
- Churches, Gender Laws and the future of Community Development in our Cities - July 6, 2016
- Proud to be an American - July 4, 2016