WASHINGTON (Reuters) – The mother of a American Muslim soldier who was killed in Iraq castigated Republican Donald Trump on Sunday as ignorant of Islam and of sacrifice after he questioned her silence during her husband’s speech at the Democratic National Convention.
Ghazala Khan, whose son, U.S. Army Capt. Humayun Khan, was killed in 2004, bristled at Trump’s implication she was silent because she, as a Muslim woman, had not been allowed to speak.
“When Donald Trump is talking about Islam, he is ignorant,” she wrote in a Washington Post opinion piece. “Donald Trump said he has made a lot of sacrifices. He doesn’t know what the word sacrifice means.”
(Reporting by Doina Chiacu; Editing by Catherine Evans)
- Israel freezes plan for mixed-sex Jewish prayer site at Western Wall - June 25, 2017
- Trump order frees tax-exempt churches to be more politically active - May 4, 2017
- On Easter, Pope denounces “oppressive regimes” but urges restraint - April 16, 2017
- Emotional reunion shows plight of Syria’s lost children - April 3, 2017
- Vatican Urges Trump To Reconsider Climate Change Position - March 30, 2017
- Israel’s Netanyahu pledges to work with Trump on peace efforts - March 27, 2017
- U.S.-Israeli teen arrested in Israel over bomb threats to Jewish centers - March 23, 2017
- U.S. Catholics allowed corned beef on Paddy’s Friday, meat industry cheers - March 15, 2017
- Theroux’s re-enactments in Scientology documentary prompts criticism - March 13, 2017
- China says Dalai Lama a ‘deceptive actor’ after brain comments - March 7, 2017