Twice a year members of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints come from all over the world to gather in Salt Lake City and recharge their faith.
General Conference took place over the weekend and Spokane resident MaryBeth Wagstaff said it left her feeling inspired and encouraged.
“It renews my faith and I learn many things and get uplifted. It's an amazing experience,” she said from Utah in a telephone interview. “It’s a way to stay connected with the general leaders of church and with the prophet and hear their counsel.”
On average more than 100,000 people attend the conference.
Wagstaff and her family have been to the conference several times and when they can’t make it in person watch it live from their church. Each year the conference meetings and talks are broadcast via satellite to over 7,400 church buildings in 102 countries, according information from the LDS Worldwide Newsroom.
At the conference LDS leaders, including President Thomas S. Monson, deliver spirit-inspired presentations. Typically, Wagstaff explained, speakers aren’t assigned topics, but discuss whatever is on their heart at the time. Talks usually cover basic gospel principles or address significant issues of the day.
This year the Wagstaff family was able to get a spot in the 21,000-seat conference center. In previous years they’ve watched the presentations in overflow areas.
“It’s a really neat feeling when you’re in the same room as prophet of the Lord,” she said. “They (the speakers) pray and receive inspiration on what topic they should speak on. This year we heard a lot about raising children and the importance of families. We walk away with a stronger testament of our savior Jesus Christ.”
All of the conference talks are available on the LDS website.
The next general conference will be held in October.
- VIDEO – Coffee Talk: Responding To Hate & Violence, Part 2 - August 7, 2022
- Now Hiring: Freelance Reporters - August 2, 2022
- Seeking Local Human Rights Champions - July 26, 2022
- Gonzaga offers $500 prize to person or organization countering hatred￼ - July 23, 2022
- VIDEO! Pop up Coffee Talk: Roe v Wade & Scotus – How my Faith Tells me to Respond - July 20, 2022
- How one church is staying “Grounded” - June 28, 2022
- Some Celebrate, Some Vow to Fight Back: Spokane Responds to Reversal of Roe V. Wade - June 24, 2022
- I am learning that ‘being’ is more compelling than ‘doing’ - May 16, 2022
- A tribute to my source, and friend, Pastor Andy CastroLang, who will retire this year - April 18, 2022
- At Upcoming Hybrid Event Panelist Will Discuss “Separate Histories, Common Challenges” - February 23, 2022