Former U.S. Secretary of State Madeleine Albright to speak at Whitworth University’s President’s Leadership Forum
Madeleine Albright, who served as the nation’s 64th secretary of state, will be the featured speaker at Whitworth’s fall President’s Leadership Forum, to be held Sept. 29 from 7:30-9 a.m. at the Spokane Convention Center. Registration is now open.
The event was originally scheduled to be held last fall and then rescheduled to May, but due to health and safety restrictions related to COVID-19 imposed by local and state authorities, the event has been postponed until September.
The Whitworth President’s Leadership Forum draws key national leaders to the Inland Northwest to provide wisdom and insight on a variety of contemporary issues.
Albright is a professor, author, diplomat and businesswoman.
She received the Presidential Medal of Freedom, the nation’s highest civilian honor, from President Barack Obama in 2012.
In 1997, Albright was named the first female secretary of state and became, at that time, the highest-ranking woman in the history of the U.S. government.
As secretary of state, Albright reinforced America’s alliances, advocated for democracy and human rights, and promoted American trade, business, labor and environmental standards abroad.
“I am excited to bring a statesperson of Secretary Albright’s stature to Spokane,” said Whitworth President Beck A. Taylor in a press release.
He said no matter which administration is leading the country, America’s place in the world stage is something Albright can speak to.
In her most recent book, “Hell and Other Destinations” Albright reflects on the challenge of continuing one’s career far beyond the normal age of retirement. Her book written two years prior, “Fascism: A Warning“, debuted at No. 1 on the New York Times bestseller list. She is the author of five other bestselling books: her autobiography, “Madam Secretary: A Memoir“; “The Mighty and the Almighty: Reflections on America, God, and World Affairs.”
- Spokane Retreat Center Offers Post-Christmas Day of Recollection - January 2, 2022
- Supporting Our Reporters: Meet Loren Negron - December 5, 2021
- VIDEO: Coffee Talk — The State of Religion Reporting Today - December 4, 2021
- Spokane Valley Vigil to be Held in Response to Rittenhouse Verdict - November 29, 2021
- A new aspect of the Tarot boom: Diversity in the deck - November 13, 2021
- The Lands Council To Host SpoCanopy Community Tree Planting Event - October 10, 2021
- Gonzaga Report on Catholic Sexual Abuse Crisis Recommends Next Steps, Path Forward for Healing and Justice - September 4, 2021
- We Believe We Vote Bringing Gov. Mike Huckabee to Spokane - August 29, 2021
- Former U.S. Secretary of State Madeleine Albright to speak at Whitworth University’s President’s Leadership Forum - August 21, 2021
- Saturday Coffee Talk to be on Understanding Prayer - August 6, 2021