A recent scientific study has shown that there's no God spot in your head. Oh my! Why would anyone think there would be such a thing? Well, it comes out of scientism, also called scientific fundamentalism, the idea that science can explain everything, even God. There has been a rise in the scientism lately, especially among young people. Adherents want to say to those who are religious, “Well you just believe in God because the left side of your brain is bigger, or maybe part of your brain has been damaged.” In other words, religion can be explained biologically.
Unfortunately for them, the experimental results aren't cooperating. Instead, it appears belief is a part of perfectly functioning rational brain. But what if there were a God spot? What would that prove? No one will ever be able to make any positive or negative correlation between brain structure and the existence or non-existence of God. Did your brain structure cause your faith, or did your faith mold your brain structure?
It's the scientific fundamentalists who seem to have the problem. They've acquired amnesia to the groundbreaking work of philosophers such as Immanuel Kant, who determined reason has limitations, especially with questions of religion. According to Kant and those who followed after him, reason and science will never answer questions of faith and religion. In fact, society needs both science and religion. Reason does not work without faith, and faith does not work without reason. They are both vital components of humanity.
But there might be another explanation for the results of this particular experiment. Perhaps faith actually comes from another source, like, (I gasp), God? No, I must have hit my head on my God spot.
- Are science and technology growing too fast? - August 7, 2013
- Should you listen to anti-folk music? - July 25, 2013
- Traditional Christianity thrives in southeastern Kansas - July 20, 2013
- Is it moral to remote control insects? - July 10, 2013
- Something to die for? - June 27, 2013
- So who owns my body? - June 21, 2013
- Is digital affirmation taking the place of God? - June 14, 2013
- You have searched me and you know me - June 4, 2013
- The Blonde Redheads and losing our humanity - May 30, 2013
- God’s problem with Professor Bart Ehrman - May 23, 2013