The news has taken us all over the place this year, from the Spokane Women’s March, to vandalism throughout our town to new leadership in the ELCA Synod. And FāVS columnists have shared their thoughts along the way with reflections on pressing issues like abortion and Planned Parenthood, and the popular FāVS “Ask” columns.
Below are the top 10 news stories and columns from the past year, based on readership traffic.
We’d like to continue reporting on the faith stories in this region and offering commentary, too. With your help, we can.
- Town’s Only Gay Pastor Creates Community in Politically Divided Dayton
- KKK Sign Found in Spokane Resident’s Yard
- Salem Lutheran Church Vandalized, Community Invited to Help Clean Up
- Hate Groups Alive and Well in Spokane Region
- Rev. Kristen Kuempel Elected Bishop of Eastern Washington Idaho Synod
- New Community Church Seeks New Home in Downtown Spokane
- More anti-Semitic Graffiti Found in Downtown Spokane
- More than 2,000 Expected at Spokane Women’s March
- This Month’s Meet the Neighbors Celebrates Spokane Hindus
- Prayer Vigil Tonight for Freeman High School Shooting Victims
- Whitworth Alum Disappointed with University’s Decision to Cut Ties with Planned Parenthood
- Ask An Atheist: What Happens After Death?
- Ask A Buddhist: Why Do You Shave Your Head?
- Ask A Mormon: Do You Believe in Cremation?
- Responding to the Humanitarian Crisis
- Ask A Mormon: Do Mormons Believe They Will Become Gods?
- Dear Exhausted Evangelical: Abortion isn’t as Simple as I Thought
- Ask A Jew: Are the Jewish People of Today the True Jews From Israel?
- Most Powerful Woman in the Bible: the Holy Spirit
- Ask A Jew: Is Masturbation Allowed in Judaism?
And let’s not forget the six Coffee Talks we hosted this year, in order to create offline engagement with the Spokane community!
- December “The Role of Prayer”
- October “Unlearning Hate”
- August “Forgive or Forget?”
- June Faith and Rules
- April Nature of Truth
- February Effective and Ethical Protest
Help us continue these events in 2018!
- Nuns slated to speak at The Mac about Buddhism in the Northwest - June 13, 2018
- Ven. Chodron from Sravasti Abbey releases book with Dalai Llama - May 23, 2018
- June Coffee Talk to address #MeToo - May 19, 2018
- St. Andrews, West Central Episcopal Mission to Celebrate New Priest on Sunday - May 18, 2018
- YWCA Spokane wants to honor women who make Spokane a better place for all citizens - May 9, 2018
- Immaculate Heart offers Mother’s Day Brunch - May 6, 2018
- Exhibition about Rev. Coughlin, former GU president, on Display at Gonzaga’s Foley Center - April 30, 2018
- Donors pledge $3 million to enhance campus ministry at Whitworth - April 20, 2018
- To celebrate our 6th year, FāVS seeks 10 more monthly donors - April 12, 2018
- Gonzaga, EWU Present ‘What Were You Wearing?’ Survivor Art Installation - April 11, 2018