Next week Bridges Not Walls, in conjunction with other community partners, will host a presentation on the sacred and historical role of the mother of Jesus.
The event, “Mary/Maryam: A Woman of Two Traditions” will look at her position in both the Catholic and Islamic faiths.
According to a press release, “Because of the important role of Mary/Maryam in Christian and Muslim belief, some suggest that she can be a particularly fruitful starting point for an interfaith dialogue between the two faiths.”
Presenters are Dr. Kawkab Shishani, an associate professor of Nursing at Washington State University who moved from Jordan to Spokane in 2009; and Rev. Patrick Baraza, lecturer of Religious Studies and an ordained Catholic priest from the diocese of Kitale, Kenya.
The presentation is free and open to the public. It will be at 7 p.m., April 10 at the Gonzaga University Law School, room 143.
Along with Bridges Not Walls, event organizers include Muslims for Community Action and Support, Gonzaga Mission and Ministry, the Gonzaga Deptartment of Religious Studies, and the Gonzaga Institute for Hate Studies
If everyone who reads and appreciates FāVS, helps fund it, we can provide more community news like this. For as little as $5, you can support FāVS – and it only takes a minute. Thank you.
- Taking a Risk for Love - September 19, 2022
- VIDEO – Coffee Talk: Responding To Hate & Violence, Part 2 - August 7, 2022
- Now Hiring: Freelance Reporters - August 2, 2022
- Seeking Local Human Rights Champions - July 26, 2022
- Gonzaga offers $500 prize to person or organization countering hatred￼ - July 23, 2022
- VIDEO! Pop up Coffee Talk: Roe v Wade & Scotus – How my Faith Tells me to Respond - July 20, 2022
- How one church is staying “Grounded” - June 28, 2022
- Some Celebrate, Some Vow to Fight Back: Spokane Responds to Reversal of Roe V. Wade - June 24, 2022
- I am learning that ‘being’ is more compelling than ‘doing’ - May 16, 2022
- A tribute to my source, and friend, Pastor Andy CastroLang, who will retire this year - April 18, 2022