Evangelist Billy Graham, 93, was admitted to a North Carolina hospital after he developed a fever Saturday (Aug. 11) and is now being treated for bronchitis, said his longtime spokesman, A. Larry Ross.
“Mr. Graham continues to do well and the infection is responding well to treatment,” said Dr. David Pucci, the pulmonologist who is treating Graham at Mission Hospital in Asheville, N.C., on Monday. Graham is in stable condition.
Graham spent Sunday watching the Olympics and the broadcast of the worship services at First Baptist Spartanburg, where the guest preacher this week was his grandson, third-generation evangelist William Graham IV, Ross said.
Graham was previously hospitalized at Mission Hospital for successful treatment of pneumonia last November. He resumed his routine program of physical therapy and normal activity at his home in Montreat, N.C., shortly after his release.
Ross said Sunday that Graham has remained in good overall health the past year, though he continues to remain at home because of age-related conditions. Graham remains actively involved in ministry and writing projects, including near completion of a manuscript for a new book summarizing his gospel message over the past seven decades of public ministry.
It's expected Graham will be in the hospital for “a few days,” Ross said. The hospital reported Graham is looking forward to returning home to his family.
(Cathy Lynn Grossman writes for USA Today. Sabian Warren of the Asheville (N.C.) Citizen Times and Adelle M. Banks of Religion News Service contributed to this report.)
- Top FāVS News and Commentary of 2020 - December 31, 2020
- Pandemic’s effects on religious life, liberty named No. 1 religion story of 2020 - December 17, 2020
- Spokane Clergy Plan to Commit to Year of Anti-Racist Work - September 15, 2020
- FāVS Online Social Coming up Sept. 10 - September 4, 2020
- FāVS Forward: Helping Women & Children - August 22, 2020
- FāVS Forward: Sr. Mary Eucharista, “Hope, Peace & Healing” - August 15, 2020
- FāVS Forward: Rev. Jim Murphy “Come and See” - August 7, 2020
- Video – Coffee Talk: The Power of Words - August 1, 2020
- FāVS Forward: Rev. Heather Tadlock “Holy Agitation” - July 25, 2020
- FāVS Forward: Liv Larson Andrews, “Beautiful Tension” - July 17, 2020