By Mark Azzara
Surveys and studies are published every day and I usually brush them off, but a recent report grabbed my attention. It indicates that evangelical Christians may finally be starting to wise up to President Trump.
To quote columnist Ross Douthat’s assessment of the report, “The more often a Trump voter attended church, the less white-identitarian they appeared, the more they expressed favorable views of racial minorities, and the less they agreed with populist arguments on trade and immigration.”
That means church-going Republicans are more in line with the traditional definition of both the GOP and their faith, whereas non-churchgoers are more populist, less racially tolerant and committed to steering the party to the far right.
I’m not writing this letter to bash Trump. It’s my way of expressing hope that evangelicals will increasingly see the error of their ways and heal their (well-deserved) reputation for being loyal to Trump at the expense of their faith.
This change won’t happen without a struggle, but you won’t read about that struggle in the Spokesman-Review or hear about it on KREM or KHQ. That’s because the struggle will take place within the hearts and minds of Christians.
I pray they see the need to go through that struggle – not for the sake of the GOP or even the nation, but because of the false message they convey to the world about their/our faith.
All God’s blessings – Mark
If everyone who reads and appreciates FāVS, helps fund it, we can provide more content like this. For as little as $5, you can support FāVS – and it only takes a minute. Thank you.[give_form id=”53376″ show_title=”true” display_style=”button”]
- Reparations? Yes, for all! - August 7, 2019
- If no news is good news … pray - June 20, 2019
- Finding my true self - June 11, 2019
- Are women the moral arbiters of their families? - June 3, 2019
- Only her body is broken - May 16, 2019
- How valuable are you? No more violence - May 2, 2019
- What went up in flames? - April 17, 2019
- Lenten Sacrifice - March 31, 2019
- Worshipping Wealth - March 25, 2019
- I’m As Bad As They Are - March 10, 2019