For the last Coffee Talk of 2018, SpokaneFāVS panelists will discuss The Echo Chamber, why it’s problematic and how people can break free of them.
The term Echo Chamber is widely used today to describe situations where ideas or beliefs are reinforced through repetition in a closed system, not allowing for the free movement of alternative or competing concepts.
It’s a major and growing problem, according to scholars.
“The echo chamber may be comforting, but ultimately it locks us into perpetual tribalism, and does tangible damage to our understanding,” a columnist wrote in The Guardian.
Coffee Talk panelists will be:
- Cassy Benefield, an Evangelical columnist who wrote “Why I Don’t Have the Post-Election Blues“
- Jeff Borders, a Latter-day Saint columnist who wrote, “We Need To Bridge The Divide“
- Emily Geddes, FāVS COO who just returned from the Parliament of the Worlds Religions
- Professor Kristina Morehouse from Gonzaga, who has written and presented about ‘fake news’
The discussion will be at Saturday, 10 a.m.,at Saranac Commons, 19 W. Main Ave.
If everyone who reads and appreciates FāVS, helps fund it, we can provide more events like this. For as little as $5, you can support FāVS – and it only takes a minute. Thank you.[give_form id=”53376″ show_title=”true” display_style=”button”]
- Spokane Retreat Center Offers Post-Christmas Day of Recollection - January 2, 2022
- Supporting Our Reporters: Meet Loren Negron - December 5, 2021
- VIDEO: Coffee Talk — The State of Religion Reporting Today - December 4, 2021
- Spokane Valley Vigil to be Held in Response to Rittenhouse Verdict - November 29, 2021
- A new aspect of the Tarot boom: Diversity in the deck - November 13, 2021
- The Lands Council To Host SpoCanopy Community Tree Planting Event - October 10, 2021
- Gonzaga Report on Catholic Sexual Abuse Crisis Recommends Next Steps, Path Forward for Healing and Justice - September 4, 2021
- We Believe We Vote Bringing Gov. Mike Huckabee to Spokane - August 29, 2021
- Former U.S. Secretary of State Madeleine Albright to speak at Whitworth University’s President’s Leadership Forum - August 21, 2021
- Saturday Coffee Talk to be on Understanding Prayer - August 6, 2021