For the last Coffee Talk of 2018, SpokaneFāVS panelists will discuss The Echo Chamber, why it’s problematic and how people can break free of them.
The term Echo Chamber is widely used today to describe situations where ideas or beliefs are reinforced through repetition in a closed system, not allowing for the free movement of alternative or competing concepts.
It’s a major and growing problem, according to scholars.
“The echo chamber may be comforting, but ultimately it locks us into perpetual tribalism, and does tangible damage to our understanding,” a columnist wrote in The Guardian.
Coffee Talk panelists will be:
- Cassy Benefield, an Evangelical columnist who wrote “Why I Don’t Have the Post-Election Blues“
- Jeff Borders, a Latter-day Saint columnist who wrote, “We Need To Bridge The Divide“
- Emily Geddes, FāVS COO who just returned from the Parliament of the Worlds Religions
- Professor Kristina Morehouse from Gonzaga, who has written and presented about ‘fake news’
The discussion will be at Saturday, 10 a.m.,at Saranac Commons, 19 W. Main Ave.
If everyone who reads and appreciates FāVS, helps fund it, we can provide more events like this. For as little as $5, you can support FāVS – and it only takes a minute. Thank you.[give_form id=”53376″ show_title=”true” display_style=”button”]
- Gonzaga Report on Catholic Sexual Abuse Crisis Recommends Next Steps, Path Forward for Healing and Justice - September 4, 2021
- We Believe We Vote Bringing Gov. Mike Huckabee to Spokane - August 29, 2021
- Former U.S. Secretary of State Madeleine Albright to speak at Whitworth University’s President’s Leadership Forum - August 21, 2021
- Saturday Coffee Talk to be on Understanding Prayer - August 6, 2021
- $5 Million Grant Will Fund Research on How Pandemic Has Impacted Congregations - July 28, 2021
- Spokane City Council to Host Discussion on State of Immigrants and Refugees in Spokane - July 21, 2021
- YWCA Spokane to Present Roundtable Discussion: Kids, Caregivers, COVID & Trauma - July 18, 2021
- Nominations open for Eva Lassman Take Action Against Hate Awards - July 12, 2021
- Video: Coffee Talk on Faith and Technology - June 5, 2021
- “Celebrate Curiosity” Art Contest Deadline Approaching May 12 - May 8, 2021