This article has been updated
SpokaneFāVS invites you to an Open House on June 22 to come see and learn about FāVS Center, Spokane’s new faith and non-faith community space.
SpokaneFāVS, an online religion news publication, opened the FāVS Center in June 2019, after being gifted a building and 3-acres on Spokane’s South Hill. The SpokaneFāVS board agreed that using the property to foster interfaith dialogue would enhance the organization’s mission to create community engagement opportunities.
No other city in Washington, and perhaps in the U.S., can boast having a non sectarian interfaith community center. We envision the space to be a neutral one where people of all faiths, and non faiths, can gather for a variety of reasons including retreats, classes, forums, prayer, worship, meetings and, of course, for the noted SpokaneFāVS Coffee Talks. This shared sacred space has been made possible through a generous donation from Origin Church, which closed its doors in May. The congregation voted to gift its property and partial operating costs to SpokaneFāVS, so that the people of Spokane, no matter where they are on their faith journey, can gather in a neutral space for worship, classes, retreats, weddings and other events.
The Open House will begin at 4 p.m. at FāVS Center, 5115 S. Freya, with a ribbon cutting and remarks from City Councilors Lori Kinnear and Breean Beggs and State Rep. Marcus Ricelli, as well as FāVS Executive Director Tracy Simmons. The event will then feature an interfaith dedication of the building, including a Christian, Muslim, Baha’i, Buddhist and Jewish blessing. Guests can then take tours of the space and visit, before we break the Sabbath at the conclusion of the event.
Overflow street parking is available on 51st Avenue as well as in the Park Heights Baptist Church parking lot.
A Gofundme site is set up to help raise money for startup costs for FāVS Center.
For information contact Simmons at email@example.com.
- FāVS Forward: Rev. Jim Murphy “Come and See” - August 7, 2020
- Video – Coffee Talk: The Power of Words - August 1, 2020
- FāVS Forward: Rev. Heather Tadlock “Holy Agitation” - July 25, 2020
- FāVS Forward: Liv Larson Andrews, “Beautiful Tension” - July 17, 2020
- Director of Quaker Retreat Center to be Digital Guest at Friends Church - July 13, 2020
- YWCA Spokane Calls for Women of Achievement Nominations - July 9, 2020
- VIDEO: Coffee Talk “The Value of Human Connection” - June 5, 2020
- Inslee Issues Guidelines for Resuming Religious Services in Spokane - May 28, 2020
- FāVS Forward Podcast: Rabbi Tamar Malino “Full Life Cycle” - May 22, 2020
- FāVS Forward Podcast: Pastor Joe Wittwer “When Life Gives You Lemons” - May 16, 2020