This article has been updated
SpokaneFāVS invites you to an Open House on June 22 to come see and learn about FāVS Center, Spokane’s new faith and non-faith community space.
SpokaneFāVS, an online religion news publication, opened the FāVS Center in June 2019, after being gifted a building and 3-acres on Spokane’s South Hill. The SpokaneFāVS board agreed that using the property to foster interfaith dialogue would enhance the organization’s mission to create community engagement opportunities.
No other city in Washington, and perhaps in the U.S., can boast having a non sectarian interfaith community center. We envision the space to be a neutral one where people of all faiths, and non faiths, can gather for a variety of reasons including retreats, classes, forums, prayer, worship, meetings and, of course, for the noted SpokaneFāVS Coffee Talks. This shared sacred space has been made possible through a generous donation from Origin Church, which closed its doors in May. The congregation voted to gift its property and partial operating costs to SpokaneFāVS, so that the people of Spokane, no matter where they are on their faith journey, can gather in a neutral space for worship, classes, retreats, weddings and other events.
The Open House will begin at 4 p.m. at FāVS Center, 5115 S. Freya, with a ribbon cutting and remarks from City Councilors Lori Kinnear and Breean Beggs and State Rep. Marcus Ricelli, as well as FāVS Executive Director Tracy Simmons. The event will then feature an interfaith dedication of the building, including a Christian, Muslim, Baha’i, Buddhist and Jewish blessing. Guests can then take tours of the space and visit, before we break the Sabbath at the conclusion of the event.
Overflow street parking is available on 51st Avenue as well as in the Park Heights Baptist Church parking lot.
A Gofundme site is set up to help raise money for startup costs for FāVS Center.
For information contact Simmons at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Coffee Talk: Restoring Trust - November 17, 2019
- Show Your Love for FāVS, Become a Member - November 14, 2019
- 50% off ads on SpokaneFāVS.com - November 12, 2019
- FAN Celebrates 2nd Annual Dinner in Spokane - November 3, 2019
- Survey Gives Insight Into Current American Values - October 21, 2019
- Orthodox Archbishop to Speak at Whitworth University - October 13, 2019
- VIDEO – Coffee Talk: Compassion in the Face of Crime and Homelessness - October 3, 2019
- Annual Compassion Games Kicks off This Month in Spokane - September 1, 2019
- Unity Churches To Celebrate Annual World Day of Prayer - August 29, 2019
- Two Faith Groups Call for Shea’s Resignation - August 23, 2019