Fair Chance Hiring is an employment practice policy adopted by more than 70 cities and nine states across the United States to remove barriers to employment for individuals with arrest or criminal conviction records.
According to a press release, in 2014, Mayor David Condon announced that the City of Spokane would join other cities in “banning the box” by no longer requiring applicants to disclose their criminal background on job applications. The Spokane City Council adopted a resolution in April 2015 supporting the City’s Fair Chance Hiring administrative policy and encouraging private employers to adopt similar hiring policies.
The community forum will be moderated by District Court Judge Richard Leland with presentations by experts from the Washington State University Department of Criminal Justice and Criminology and the Center for Justice. The forum will also include a panel discussion by business owners, ex-offenders, and employment agencies.
Attendees can provide questions and comments regarding Fair Chance Hiring Policies which will be added to a final report published by the Spokane City Council.
Readers, do you think Spokane should “ban the box”? Why or why not? Leave your comments below.
- I am learning that ‘being’ is more compelling than ‘doing’ - May 16, 2022
- A tribute to my source, and friend, Pastor Andy CastroLang, who will retire this year - April 18, 2022
- At Upcoming Hybrid Event Panelist Will Discuss “Separate Histories, Common Challenges” - February 23, 2022
- YWCA Sparks Conversation During Teen Dating Violence Action Month - February 2, 2022
- Spokane Retreat Center Offers Post-Christmas Day of Recollection - January 2, 2022
- Supporting Our Reporters: Meet Loren Negron - December 5, 2021
- VIDEO: Coffee Talk — The State of Religion Reporting Today - December 4, 2021
- Spokane Valley Vigil to be Held in Response to Rittenhouse Verdict - November 29, 2021
- A new aspect of the Tarot boom: Diversity in the deck - November 13, 2021
- The Lands Council To Host SpoCanopy Community Tree Planting Event - October 10, 2021