The City of Spokane is negotiating agreements with local organizations to provide a network of Warming Centers for those experiencing homelessness this winter.
According to a press release, negotiations include; logistics, staffing and capacity. Once negotiations are complete, the City will be able to submit a package of final agreements for a Warming Center network for the City Council to approve.
On Nov. 12, the Council approved funding for two initial warming center components for this winter. These resulting contracts with Open Doors (for families with dependent children), and with Women’s Hearth and Hope House (both for for adult women), expand operational capacity for nightly and daily accommodations to provide people reliable safe spaces during the cold weather months.
In addition to supporting a Warming Centers program for the 2018-19 winter season, the City will provide ongoing operational support to 14 emergency shelter and transitional housing projects and is actively working with community partners to advance the targeted-capacity shelter system.
Citizens interested in helping are invited to participate in the 2019 Everybody Counts Campaign.
- Gonzaga Report on Catholic Sexual Abuse Crisis Recommends Next Steps, Path Forward for Healing and Justice - September 4, 2021
- We Believe We Vote Bringing Gov. Mike Huckabee to Spokane - August 29, 2021
- Former U.S. Secretary of State Madeleine Albright to speak at Whitworth University’s President’s Leadership Forum - August 21, 2021
- Saturday Coffee Talk to be on Understanding Prayer - August 6, 2021
- $5 Million Grant Will Fund Research on How Pandemic Has Impacted Congregations - July 28, 2021
- Spokane City Council to Host Discussion on State of Immigrants and Refugees in Spokane - July 21, 2021
- YWCA Spokane to Present Roundtable Discussion: Kids, Caregivers, COVID & Trauma - July 18, 2021
- Nominations open for Eva Lassman Take Action Against Hate Awards - July 12, 2021
- Video: Coffee Talk on Faith and Technology - June 5, 2021
- “Celebrate Curiosity” Art Contest Deadline Approaching May 12 - May 8, 2021