Last month the YMCA welcomed the Act Six Program to the Y. Act Six is a leadership and scholarship initiative providing full-tuition, full-need scholarships to Gonzaga and Whitworth universities, as well as training and support to the scholars throughout their college careers.
Act Six is in its 11th year, starting at Whitworth and expanding to multiple universities around the Northwest. This Spring Gonzaga graduated their first cadre of scholars. The YMCA of the Inland Northwest is now the Spokane affiliate for the program, providing local support in recruitment, selection and collaboration with partner colleges.
Steve Tammaro, president and CEO of the YMCA, said in a press release, “The partnership between the YMCA and Whitworth and Gonzaga universities is yet another example of great mission-focused organizations coming together for the betterment of the community. Act Six is not just about education but about creating leaders who will benefit our community for years to come.”
Alyson Atwater will serve as the Act Six program supervisor. She holds a double Bachelor of Arts degree in education as well as a teaching certificate. After graduation she worked as a substitute and with the Act Six program for a year and a half.
For information on Act Six or to nominate someone who might qualify (high school seniors or up to two years out of high school and enrolled in a local community college) visit www.actsix.org or contact Atwater at at 777 YMCA (9622) x 413 or firstname.lastname@example.org. The application is available online and is due by Oct. 29.
- Gonzaga Report on Catholic Sexual Abuse Crisis Recommends Next Steps, Path Forward for Healing and Justice - September 4, 2021
- We Believe We Vote Bringing Gov. Mike Huckabee to Spokane - August 29, 2021
- Former U.S. Secretary of State Madeleine Albright to speak at Whitworth University’s President’s Leadership Forum - August 21, 2021
- Saturday Coffee Talk to be on Understanding Prayer - August 6, 2021
- $5 Million Grant Will Fund Research on How Pandemic Has Impacted Congregations - July 28, 2021
- Spokane City Council to Host Discussion on State of Immigrants and Refugees in Spokane - July 21, 2021
- YWCA Spokane to Present Roundtable Discussion: Kids, Caregivers, COVID & Trauma - July 18, 2021
- Nominations open for Eva Lassman Take Action Against Hate Awards - July 12, 2021
- Video: Coffee Talk on Faith and Technology - June 5, 2021
- “Celebrate Curiosity” Art Contest Deadline Approaching May 12 - May 8, 2021