University of Colorado’s Professor of Communications and Associate Vice Chancellor for Diversity and Inclusion Brenda Allen will present “Communicating Difference Matters” on Sept. 30 at 7 p.m., in Weyerhaeuser Hall’s Robinson Teaching Theatre at Whitworth University.
“In this time of rapidly changing demographics and dissolution of social barriers, we must learn to value difference and recognize that difference matters if we are to produce citizens who can compete in a diverse global market economy and who have the capacity to honor God, follow Christ, and serve humanity,” Lawrence Burnley, Whitworth’s assistant vice president for diversity and intercultural relations said in a press release. “Brenda Allen’s work, voice, and extraordinary insights will make a significant contribution to Whitworth’s and the Spokane region’s growth in the area of intercultural competency in education and beyond.”
In addition to working at the University of Colorado, Allen has written numerous publications, including Difference Matters: Communicating Social Identity. She specializes in organizational communication, the study of interaction and dialogue within organizational contexts.
The lecture is free and open to the public.
- Oct. 5 Coffee Talk: Compassion in the Face of Crime and Homelessness - September 18, 2019
- Annual Compassion Games Kicks off This Month in Spokane - September 1, 2019
- Unity Churches To Celebrate Annual World Day of Prayer - August 29, 2019
- Two Faith Groups Call for Shea’s Resignation - August 23, 2019
- Q&A: Council President Candidates Answer Questions About Faith, Ethics - August 2, 2019
- FāVS Coffee Talk Aug. 3 To Address Refugees in Spokane - August 2, 2019
- POEM: Mother Earth - July 22, 2019
- Come See FāVS Center — Spokane’s New Interfaith Community Center — At June 22 Open House - June 21, 2019
- VIDEO: Stewardship and FāVS Center - May 28, 2019
- VIDEO: Update on FāVS Center - May 23, 2019