“The decision was made by the board of directors of SJFC with the affirmation of the Sisters of St. Francis congregational leadership team,” it read. “The decision to close SJFC was not arrived at lightly. For many years, the directors of the center have been challenged with how best to raise sufficient operational funds for the ministry to continue to help the population they serve. After lengthy discussion, prayer, discernment, and a lot of grieving, this decision was made.”
SJFC is a nonprofit agency, sponsored by the Sisters of St. Francis of Philadelphia, that has provided counseling, spirituality and retreats for nearly 30 years. The Spokane facility began as an orphanage in 1890, and then grew into a group home for children in 1973. It was in 1987 that it evolved into a counseling and retreat center.
“We realize that this kind of change can be difficult and unsettling,” the statement continued. “We ask for your prayer and support for our sisters in Spokane and for the staff at St. Joseph Family Center. The Sisters of St. Francis offer our heartfelt thanks and appreciation to our sisters, associates, volunteers, and benefactors who have continued to offer high quality professional mental health services to couples, families, teens, and seniors in the Spokane area.”
Follow SpokaneFAVS for more on the shuttering of SJFC in the coming week.
- Seekr app: Tinder meets GoogleMaps to create ‘one-stop shop’ for worshipping needs - September 13, 2019
- Spokane UU Church to host educational event on Israeli-Palestinian conflict - August 13, 2019
- Q&A: Mayoral candidates provide insight to their thoughts on homelessness, religion, climate change and criminal justice - July 19, 2019
- Hamblen Park series focuses on love, care of refugees - October 28, 2016
- No-Li turns beer into volunteer work - August 21, 2016
- Safety of downtown churches a concern amid recent break-ins - July 15, 2016
- Traveling exhibit uses art to ‘bridge’ religious differences, commonalities - May 22, 2016
- Sept. 30 last day for nonprofit counseling, spirituality, healing service at St. Joseph Family Center - April 22, 2016
- BRIEF: St. Joseph Family Center to close doors - April 6, 2016
- Bethany’s Paul Rodkey retires; joins the Peace Corps - March 21, 2016