On Sept. 27 residents are invited to learn how to prevent domestic violence at the first Stop Violence Against Women Day, which will be held at Coeur d'Alene Casino from 11:30 a.m. to 8 p.m.
The event will include a Women's Health & Resource Fair in partnership with Susan G. Komen for the Cure.
KREM 2 News' Jen York and Laura Pappeti will emcee the event. The theme centers on the reauthorization of the Violence Against Women Act (VAWA). Actress and author Christina Crawford is the lunch keynote speaker and will engage attendees in a heart-to-heart dialogue on the long term effects of raising children in an abusive environment, according to a press release.
Other program speakers include
- Sarah Foley, the community education and outreach advocate at the Spokane YWCA Alternatives to Domestic Violence Program who will discuss domestic violence within the LGBTQ communities and address the additional barriers that LGBTQ survivors face when seeking services.
- Mabel Elsom, the anti-human trafficking coordinator at Lutheran Community Services who will discuss human trafficking and the difference between labor and sex trafficking.
- Melanie Warner, a fourth degree black belt instructor and owner of Hand to Hand Combat Training Center in Post Falls, Idaho, who will teach self-defense tips that are quick and easy to remember.
The fair will also feature mini-spa treatments, health screenings, beauty must-haves, support groups, and businesses and organizations to empower women physically, spiritually and emotionally, according to a press release.
Tickets are $75 and can be purchased online. All proceeds will benefit the Coeur d'Alene Tribe's STOP Violence Against Women Program.
For information contact Charity Doyl, event chair at (509) 928-9664 or email@example.com.
- YWCA Spokane Calls for Women of Achievement Nominations - July 9, 2020
- VIDEO: Coffee Talk “The Value of Human Connection” - June 5, 2020
- Inslee Issues Guidelines for Resuming Religious Services in Spokane - May 28, 2020
- FāVS Forward Podcast: Rabbi Tamar Malino “Full Life Cycle” - May 22, 2020
- FāVS Forward Podcast: Pastor Joe Wittwer “When Life Gives You Lemons” - May 16, 2020
- Thank you donors! - May 10, 2020
- FāVS Forward Podcast: A Hope-filled People - May 8, 2020
- PJALS to host Anti-Asian Racism: Bystander Intervention Training Tonight - May 6, 2020
- Show your love for FāVS on this #GivingNewsDay - May 5, 2020
- FāVS Forward Podcast: Reflections and Hope - May 2, 2020