On Oct. 24, Friday Musical, a 99-year-old champion of music in Spokane, will open its 2014-15 season at the Holy Names Music Center Recital Hall. The event will be at 1p.m and will include an afternoon recital combining the talents of members Sheri Jacobson, flute and Kay Benson, piano, with two young performers from the Holy Names Honor Chamber Ensemble: Eric Gallagher, violin and Emma Thackston, piano.
Jacobson will play the Sonata in G, the “Hamburger”, Wq 133 by CPE Bach, written while the composer was in Hamburg, Germany. Jacobson teaches Applied Flute at Gonzaga University as well as being an Adjunct Professor at Whitworth University.
Benson moved to Spokane 27 years ago with her family, becoming involved with the Ballet Division of Musicfest Northwest. She will be performing Haydn’s Variations in F Minor.
The two young artists from Holy Names Music Center represent another arm of focus for Friday Musical—promotion and support of serious music among the children and young people in the community.
Gallagher began studying violin at the age of 5 with Claire Keeble at Holy Names Music Center (HNMC) and is in his second year of participating in Honor’s Chamber at HNMC. He has held the position of Concert Master of the Spokane Youth Philharmonic and principal second violin in the Spokane Youth Symphony. Gallagher has been Concert Master of the Chamber Strings at Shadle Park High School for the last three years.
Thackston is 16 and a junior in high school. She has studied piano for nine years, the last six years with Linda Siverts. She has competed in MusicFest and won numerous medals and honors.
The recital is free and open to the public. Holy Names Music Center Recital Hall is located at 3910 West Custer Drive.
- Gonzaga Report on Catholic Sexual Abuse Crisis Recommends Next Steps, Path Forward for Healing and Justice - September 4, 2021
- We Believe We Vote Bringing Gov. Mike Huckabee to Spokane - August 29, 2021
- Former U.S. Secretary of State Madeleine Albright to speak at Whitworth University’s President’s Leadership Forum - August 21, 2021
- Saturday Coffee Talk to be on Understanding Prayer - August 6, 2021
- $5 Million Grant Will Fund Research on How Pandemic Has Impacted Congregations - July 28, 2021
- Spokane City Council to Host Discussion on State of Immigrants and Refugees in Spokane - July 21, 2021
- YWCA Spokane to Present Roundtable Discussion: Kids, Caregivers, COVID & Trauma - July 18, 2021
- Nominations open for Eva Lassman Take Action Against Hate Awards - July 12, 2021
- Video: Coffee Talk on Faith and Technology - June 5, 2021
- “Celebrate Curiosity” Art Contest Deadline Approaching May 12 - May 8, 2021