UPDATE, 4 p.m., April 23: Due to security concerns Arms of Compassion Around Our Jewish Neighbors has been canceled. Temple Beth Shalom, instead, welcome the community’s solidarity at the Yom Hashoah event, which begins at 7 p.m.
“In the aftermath of the mindless violence and hate against the Jewish Community in Kansas City last Sunday (April 13), it is time for the entire Spokane community to mobilize as a show of our support and solidarity with our local Jewish friends and neighbors,” he said.
The first Arms of Compassion event was held at the Sikh Gudwarwa of Spokane in response to the 2012 shooting at a Sikh temple in Wisconsin. While local Sikhs worshiped inside, hundreds of Spokane residents formed a protective circle outside the gudwara.
“It’s an opportunity to express compassion … all we had to do was open up the opportunity for people to let their love flow,” Eklof said in a 2012 interview.
Arms of Compassion Around Our Jewish Neighbors will take place April 27 from 5:30 – 6:30 p.m. at TBS, 1322 E 30th Ave, where both of Spokane’s Jewish faith communities —Temple Beth Shalom and Congregation Emanu-el — will be holding a joint Yom Hashoah service.
Yom Hashoah is an annual Holocaust Day of Remembrance.
“This will be an appropriate and solemn occasion for the larger Spokane community to stand against hate, violence, and prejudice in every age, by symbolically embracing our Jewish friends and neighbors in a circle of compassion and protection as they enter into their place of worship,” Eklof said.
- Taking a Risk for Love - September 19, 2022
- VIDEO – Coffee Talk: Responding To Hate & Violence, Part 2 - August 7, 2022
- Now Hiring: Freelance Reporters - August 2, 2022
- Seeking Local Human Rights Champions - July 26, 2022
- Gonzaga offers $500 prize to person or organization countering hatred￼ - July 23, 2022
- VIDEO! Pop up Coffee Talk: Roe v Wade & Scotus – How my Faith Tells me to Respond - July 20, 2022
- How one church is staying “Grounded” - June 28, 2022
- Some Celebrate, Some Vow to Fight Back: Spokane Responds to Reversal of Roe V. Wade - June 24, 2022
- I am learning that ‘being’ is more compelling than ‘doing’ - May 16, 2022
- A tribute to my source, and friend, Pastor Andy CastroLang, who will retire this year - April 18, 2022