Origin Church, located at 5115 S. Freya, will be closing and transferring ownership of its building and property to SpokaneFāVS in May of this year.
The SpokaneFāVS.com board of directors has decided to turn the building into an Interfaith Community Center.
“Over the years SpokaneFāVS has created a community, and in return we’ve been given a community center,” said Tracy Simmons, executive director of SpokaneFāVS.
She said the space will be used for retreats, classes, weddings, worships services, Coffee Talks and other events.
The Rev. Scott Kinder-Pyle, pastor of Origin Church, said that the congregation decided to give the 3-acre property to SpokaneFāVS because of the interfaith dialogue the website has established between Christians and non-Christians in the community and wanted to provide a comfortable place for them to continue inviting people of Jewish, Christian, Atheist, Agnostic, Humanist, Hindu, Muslim and other faith traditions to dialogue.
Over the next few months, the congregation will finalize closing and lawyers will work on contracts for both parties. Origin Church also donated money for operational costs to help the Interfaith Community Center get started.
Stay tuned to SpokaneFaVS.com for more information. To donate to this project click the button below.
[give_form id=”53376″ show_title=”true” display_style=”button”]
- Local filmmaker produces short movie ‘Waste Land,’ addressing suicide among Native youth - September 16, 2021
- Spokane Churches and COVID one year later - April 20, 2021
- Fire damages part of St. Charles Catholic School in north Spokane - March 18, 2021
- Salish School adds new building to campus - March 4, 2021
- Spokane Churches Find Ways To Celebrate Advent Virtually Due To COVID Restrictions - December 2, 2020
- Spokane Nonprofit Barbershop Seeks to Help Those Who Struggle - October 23, 2020
- Singing hymns in Salish: Pauline Flett’s dedication to spirituality - August 24, 2020
- COVID lockdown provides insights on changing attitude, relationship toward environment - August 4, 2020
- Sports teams an opportunity to teach about Native American culture - July 13, 2020
- Pauline Flett’s legacy lives on through former students - May 21, 2020