Erin Jones, a veteran teacher who has taught in diverse communities across the nation, will speak at the upcoming YWCA Spokane‘s Stand Against Racism “Building Bridges Not Walls In Times of Conflict.”
The annual event is free and open to the public, and is to confront stereotypes and bias as a community. According to the YWCA, “Each courageous conversation provides an opportunity to broaden perspectives, learn new tools, and connect with a diverse community of citizens passionate about eliminating racism.”
Jones was named the Most Innovative Foreign Language Teacher in 2007, while teaching French Immersion at Stewart Middle School in Tacoma, and was the Washington State Milken Educator of the Year in 2008, while teaching at Rogers High School in Spokane. She received recognition at the White House in March of 2013 as a “Champion of Change” and in 2015 Erin earned recognition as PTA Educator of the Year for her testimony in the McCleary education funding case.
Jones was the first African-American woman to run for executive office in the state of Washington and lost by one percent. Since she ended her campaign for office, she has spoken to more 20,000 students, according to a press release.
She’ll be speaking at the YWCA’s annual event on April 28. The event will be at 11:30 a.m. at YWCA Spokane, 930 N Monroe St. Attendees are asked to register in advance.
- Gonzaga Lecture: Is this Global Warming? - February 11, 2018
- A First in America: Buddhist Master Teacher coming to Sravasti for historic trainining - January 21, 2018
- Spokane Women’s March ready for second year - January 13, 2018
- Retreat examines how to love people who bug you - January 7, 2018
- FāVS year in review: Hate groups, Women’s March, “Abortion isn’t Simple” - December 31, 2017
- Local Baha’is to meet monthly in 2018 - December 29, 2017
- Ring in the new year with a cultural service at Spokane Buddhist Temple - December 26, 2017
- Today’s Coffee Talk to focus on “The Role of Prayer” - December 1, 2017
- Tonight at Gonzaga: China’s Last Jesuit: Charles J. McCarthy - November 20, 2017
- Join SpokaneFāVS today for a Coffee Talk on “Unlearning Hate” - October 7, 2017