Ask An Eastern Orthodox Christian: The Rapture
What would you like to know about the Eastern Orthodox Christian faith? Submit your question.
Does the Eastern Orthodox Church believe in the Rapture?
Eastern Orthodox Christians, Roman Catholics and some mainline Protestants view the Rapture as heretical teaching of the Christian faith. It was not preached or believed prior to 1830 A.D. when John Nelson Darby individually proclaimed that his teaching is what the Bible says Christ will do when he comes again. Jesus, Paul, Peter, John or any of the writers of the Bible or Christian church fathers did not preach about the Rapture.
The Rapture teaches the four comings of Jesus — first, his birth in Bethlehem; second, his secret coming to snatch away (Rapture) the select few; third, his thousand-year reign; and fourth, the final judgment at the end of time. In the Bible, there are only two, not four, comings of Christ.
Passages of Scripture that allude to the event of the Rapture are in actuality referring to the second coming or final judgment of Christ. He will return a second time to judge the living and the dead, whose kingdom will have no end.
The Rapture teaches that select born-again Christians will float into the clouds — no matter where they are or what they are doing — to meet the Lord in the clouds.
If they are driving, their passengers may die. If they are a pilot flying a plane, their passengers may most likely die in a plane crash. If they are a surgeon in the middle of surgery, the patient probably might die. If they are parents with young children and babies, who will take care of the abandoned children?
A better explanation of this heretical teaching can be viewed below.
- Freewill: What the Eastern Orthodox Church Teaches - August 8, 2022
- Ask An Eastern Orthodox Christian: Converting To Orthodox Christianity - July 3, 2022
- Ask An Eastern Orthodox Christian: Heaven and Hell - June 12, 2022
- Ask An Eastern Orthodox Christian: Blasphemy of the Holy Spirit - April 22, 2022
- Ask An Eastern Orthodox Christian: Russian Orthodox Church - March 31, 2022
- Ask An Eastern Orthodox Christian: Prayer Requests - March 10, 2022
- An Orthodox Reflection on Great Lent and Fasting - March 6, 2022
- Ask An Eastern Orthodox Christian: Getting Into Heaven - February 11, 2022
- The Afterlife: Opinions of Life After Death in the Eastern Orthodox Church - February 3, 2022
- Ask An Eastern Orthodox Christian: Icon with Three Angels - January 3, 2022