What do you want to ask an Atheist? Fill out the form below or submit your question online.
By Jim Downard
In what regions is atheism generally found?
Now in most of the places on Earth it can still get you dangerously in trouble (including getting killed) to be an atheist, but that is also true of being a believer differing from the majority state-supported religion, so on that people of faith and atheists can be nervous together. There is no indication that the incidence of atheism presently or historically has been any different (probably around a few single digit percentage points of the population). It is the case though that only in the last few centuries has it become possible for non-believers to be more open about their non-belief, without running the risk of having their head chopped off or be burned at the stake.
Regarding why atheism arises in any region or context, so long as there are allegedly sacred books and people are allowed to read them, and have the curiosity and opportunity to fact check them, there will be fodder for atheism.
- Ask An Atheist: What Does Civility Look Like? - December 6, 2018
- Ask An Atheist: Where is Atheism Found? - November 9, 2018
- Ask An Atheist: Stranger in Strange Land - October 12, 2018
- Ask An Atheist: Why do you pose ‘annoyingly hard’ questions to Christians? - October 3, 2018
- Out in the World of Non-Belief - September 22, 2018
- Voting in a Time of Division - August 30, 2018
- Ask An Atheist: Why aren’t Atheists included in memorial services? - August 19, 2018
- Ask An Atheist: How do you explain design throughout the universe? - August 11, 2018
- Ask An Atheist: Why is the PNW so unchurched? - August 1, 2018
- Ask An Atheist: Stupid Questions - July 20, 2018