What do you want to ask an Atheist? Fill out the form below or submit your question online.
By Jim Downard
Is there ever a time or place where you’re hesitant to say you’re an atheist?
Only in the sense that I wasn’t prone to proselytizing the matter, not bringing it up just as confrontational thing. But thinking through my memory, I was never shy about expressing my views on whether particular gods existed.
Now to be fair, I was raised in a functionally secular household, where the issue didn’t arise from my family–no obligatory attendance even at holiday religious services. And my attitude towards education was the same one my parents had, which was that public school was not a place where that needed to be discussed. In fact my mother pulled me out of a grade school Bible hour class that she had not approved and considered not the responsibility of the school to do in the first place. Those sorts of things aren’t a feature of public schools these days. I don’t recall any backlash or social outcasting on that account at the time, by the way. But then I was only 6 so maybe just didn’t notice.
- Ask An Atheist: Does it Take Faith to be an Atheist? - March 5, 2021
- Ask An Atheist: A Strictly Negative Position? - July 15, 2020
- Ask an Atheist: Ever hesitant to announce your atheism? - July 7, 2020
- Donald the Apostate and Things to Come - May 24, 2020
- Ask An Atheist: Better Without Religion? - March 8, 2020
- Ask An Atheist: A Loving God? - February 17, 2020
- Ask An Atheist: Freedom of Conscience - February 7, 2020
- Ask An Atheist: Atheist or Secular? - January 20, 2020
- Trump By the Movies (Popcorn Optional) - November 12, 2019
- Ask An Atheist: What if I Believe in Reincarnation? - September 19, 2019