Editor's Note: Spokane Faith & Values has a new feature called “Ask An Atheist” where readers are invited to submit question to our atheist writers. Here's the fifth question that came in, and a response from one of our atheist writers.
Q. Do you celebrate Christmas?
A. I do indeed celebrate Christmas, though obviously as a secular holiday. So as the mood takes me, Christmas tree and decorations go up, and I play Christmas albums and movies all the rest. Best album: the one the Mormon Tabernacle Choir did with Leonard Bernstein and the New York Philharmonic. Best Scrooge version: Alistar Sim's classic, hands down (and available in a stunning transfer on BluRay now days). All in all, with all its funky pagan accretions (gift giving elves and magic decorated trees and such) it has become too much fun as an event not to partake of what we will. In this respect I'm a bit like the Japanese, who do their Santa Claus thing every December devoid of its Christian roots, or people having Halloween parties (even though its roots are also Christian).
In a broader sense, Christians have a right to be very ambivalent about coopting such as mine, where the holiday is “celebrated” but without any of its theological underpinnings being accepted. Of course this has been the problem from the get-go, and you find devout party poopers bristling at the secular and pagan add-ons, while the holiday juggernaut rolls on notwithstanding. So in the long term, non-theist embracing of Christmas as secular fun could be deemed more of a subversive activity (worse than billboard wars) than were atheists to avoid the holiday entirely in a rush to have Solstice Parties instead.
Want to submit a question? Leave a comment below for fill out this online form.
- Ask An Atheist: Where did human beings come from? - September 21, 2022
- Ask An Atheist: Reincarnation and Rebirth - July 10, 2022
- Ask An Atheist: Do You Avoid Holidays? - January 2, 2022
- Ask An Atheist: Reincarnation, not God - October 8, 2021
- UNDERSTANDING PRAYER: Haven’t got a prayer … or do we? - July 16, 2021
- Ask An Atheist: Does it Take Faith to be an Atheist? - March 5, 2021
- Ask An Atheist: A Strictly Negative Position? - July 15, 2020
- Ask an Atheist: Ever hesitant to announce your atheism? - July 7, 2020
- Donald the Apostate and Things to Come - May 24, 2020
- Ask An Atheist: Better Without Religion? - March 8, 2020