What do you want to ask an Atheist? Fill out the form below or submit your question online.
By Jim Downard
Hey, I’ve been a happy atheist since college and have wondered what other atheists think about this question: Is atheism strictly a “negative” position about a metaphysical/theological entity, or are there other “positive” beliefs that atheists find are implied by the lack of a God? – Kevin
Great question, Kevin. In a philosophical sense atheism is at ground a rejection of supernatural entities as informative principles, but beyond that there are many implications.
There is an exhilaration from not having to defend the weird baggage that goes with theistic models of life, and that can remove a lot of fuss from one’s life, as well as the thoughtfulness and introspection that really thinks through how one should behave, the oughts of life that theism attempts to resolve by top down commands. Because of the comparative nature of not being a theist (examining the alternatives with the same analytical scalpel) atheism can also, in principle, foster a toleration for the drives that people can have, and a more attentive appreciation of how important secular governance is to keep those impulses in check.
There are those more strident anti-theist atheists who strive (wrongly I think) to eradicate theism from human culture. Not only can that make them unnecessarily grumpy, but obscures the recognition that (like it or not) a tendency for theistic explanations in our human minds is part of our nature, something to be understood and managed as we have to do with our sexual and other behavioral proclivities as a social species, rather than being expunged (as it it could be).
- Ask An Atheist: Does it Take Faith to be an Atheist? - March 5, 2021
- Ask An Atheist: A Strictly Negative Position? - July 15, 2020
- Ask an Atheist: Ever hesitant to announce your atheism? - July 7, 2020
- Donald the Apostate and Things to Come - May 24, 2020
- Ask An Atheist: Better Without Religion? - March 8, 2020
- Ask An Atheist: A Loving God? - February 17, 2020
- Ask An Atheist: Freedom of Conscience - February 7, 2020
- Ask An Atheist: Atheist or Secular? - January 20, 2020
- Trump By the Movies (Popcorn Optional) - November 12, 2019
- Ask An Atheist: What if I Believe in Reincarnation? - September 19, 2019