How much tithing do Jews give?
In my experience, synagogues can follow one of several models to garner the financial support they need. Some require members to pay an established fee, such as $500 annually. Others work with lower-income individuals and families, as well as college students, on a sliding-scale basis. Still others ask all members to pay what they can and trust that they will do just that.
Because asking for a set amount per year — the annual dues model — is the most traditional in the U.S., operating on a pay-what-you-can basis can feel a bit experimental, as a 2015 New York Times article indicated. In the article, a rabbi is quoted as saying: “The dues system has fallen out of alignment with the zeitgeist.” Whether that’s true remains to be seen, I think. It’s also worth noting that some synagogues charge for High Holiday (Rosh Hashanah and Yom Kippur) attendance. Spokane’s two congregations, Temple Beth Shalom and Congregation Emanu-El, do not.
While Jews do not tithe, per se, they may very well set aside some portion of their year’s earnings to be donated to their synagogue. Tithing did have a place in Jewish history, based primarily on Numbers 18:21-32 and Deuteronomy 14:22-7 and 26:12. Back then it seems to have revolved around donating produce, not money.
- Ask a Jew: What do modern religious Jews do about the issue of atonement for sins? - September 14, 2018
- Ask A Jew: How has Judaism influenced your writing? - September 5, 2018
- Ask A Jew: Is Israel a Secular State? - August 26, 2018
- Ask a Jew: Can a woman become a rabbi if her mother is not Jewish? - August 14, 2018
- Ask a Jew: What do Jews think of Christianity, whose followers worship a Jew? - August 8, 2018
- Ask a Jew: What do the different sects of Judaism disagree about? - July 24, 2018
- Ask a Jew: Would the ICC issue warrants for Joshua and Moses? - July 18, 2018
- Ask A Jew: How Do I Become Jewish? - July 13, 2018
- Ask A Jew: Tithing - July 9, 2018
- Ask A Jew: Is America more, less, or equally anti-Semitic now? - June 28, 2018