If the Jewish people believe the Savior is yet to come, why have most Jews forgone the written law in the Hebrew Scriptures?
I recently wrote about Judaism and its long tradition of legalism. You seem to be asking why the majority of Jews — i.e., most Conservative, Reform, and Reconstructionist Jews, along with plenty of other progressive and/or secular Jews — aren’t obeying all or even most of the laws found in the Torah. I would refer you, first of all, to a previous column of mine, titled “Are there any biblical texts that you clearly understand to be not for our time?” Personally, the answer is a definite yes.
And just for the record: “The Jewish people” aren’t a monolith. Some Jews and some communities of Jews hold certain beliefs. But when you come down to it, every human has a unique faith (or lack thereof). I don’t believe a savior is yet to come. If I did, then I probably would do my best to obey Jewish law as I understood it, as many religious Jews do.
As I explained in my article on legalism, this would mean not only consulting the Torah but also observing laws developed by rabbis over the centuries and abiding by customs that may or may not have the full weight of Jewish law. As for why a Jew who believes the Messiah is coming would forgo “the written law in the Hebrew Scriptures” — well, perhaps simply because human beings are imperfect and often maddeningly contradictory, and also because obeying millennia-old laws to the letter can be really, really hard in modern times.
- Disagreements for the sake of heaven - March 29, 2019
- Ask A Jew: Is the Wailing Wall truly a remnant of the Second Temple? - March 13, 2019
- A festival of much-needed uplift - January 14, 2019
- Ask A Jew: How come Jews pound their chest when they pray? - January 8, 2019
- Ask A Jew: The Balfour Declaration - January 3, 2019
- Ask A Jew: Help! I Need Matzo Ball Soup - December 18, 2018
- Ask A Jew: Finding out more about your heritage - December 12, 2018
- The creative minds behind “Rabbi Sid, the Rappin’ Rabbi” speak out - December 6, 2018
- A Question of Values: Political candidates respond to question of faith, morals - October 31, 2018
- Ask A Jew: Is it offensive for non-Jews to wear Jewish symbols? - October 21, 2018