Compassion Games, a national movement that invites communities to, “inspire one another” through acts of of kindness, will take place in Spokane Sept. 8-28.
The games are organized locally by One Peace Many Paths, an organization aimed at promoting and fostering peace. Several events are scheduled for the month-long event.
First, coming up Sept. 15 is the Interfaith Potluck and Speedfaithing. This is an opportunity to dialogue with people from different faith backgrounds. Guests are asked to bring a dish to share as well as a goodwill offering. It will take place from 5-7:30 p.m. at Unity Center of Divine Love and Light, 4123 Lincoln Road.
Then, on Sept. 20 is Pathways to Peace. This is the 5th Annual World Peace Flag Ceremony and Program on Nuclear Disarmament, which will take place at Gonzaga University’s Hemmingson Center, 702 E. Desmet Ave. from 6-8 p.m.
The Compassion Games will conclude Sept. 28 with the Earth and Spirit Festival, which will feature keynote speaker Matthew Fox. Fox is an author and co-founder of the Order of the Sacred Earth. The festival will also include workshops on sustainability, stewardship, Native American spirituality, an environmental resource faith and children’s activities. It will be at held at Unity Spiritual Center, 2900 S. Bernard from 11:30 a.m. to 5:30 p.m. Fox’s talk will be at 12:30 p.m. and advanced tickets are encouraged and can be purchased online for $20.
Other Compassion Games events include
- Fall Cleanup at Drumheller Springs Park, An Historical Native American Site, Sept. 9, 10 a. m- noon; Oak and Liberty St., Northwest Spokane. Involves weeding and cleanup to
preserve native species (contact One Peace, many Paths at firstname.lastname@example.org for details)
- Lands Council Spokane River Cleanup, Sept. 14, 9a.m-2p.m; (RSVP at www.landscouncil.org )
- Food Sorting at Northwest Harvest Distribution Center, Sept. 18, noon-2 p.m. & Sept. 25, 6- 8p.m. (minimum age 8) 3808 N. Sullivan Rd, 15-K, Spokane Valley. (RSVP to One Peace,
Many Paths – email@example.com)
- Climate Strike, Sept. 20, 1 p.m, Riverfront Park (contact info@350spokane)
- FāVS Expands “Ask” series with Hindu and Quaker column - February 15, 2020
- The Problem With Tolerance - February 10, 2020
- Cannabis and Religion - February 5, 2020
- MLK Events Planned Throughout Region - January 19, 2020
- St. Luke’s Orthodox Celebrates Theophany with Outdoor Water Blessing - January 12, 2020
- Women’s March Continues in Spokane for 4th Year - January 9, 2020
- Creators’ Table Brings Visiting Artists To Spokane - January 3, 2020
- Top FāVS Stories and Columns of 2019 - December 31, 2019
- Religion News Association Releases top stories and newsmakers of 2019 - December 22, 2019
- Annual Chanukah Menorah Lighting to Take Place Downtown - December 18, 2019