Concluding two months of silent meditation retreat, Sravasti Abbey — the Tibetan Buddhist monastery near Newport — will opens its doors on Sunday, April 2 for its Sharing the Dharma Day series.
The April Sharing the Dharma Day will be combined with a traditional Tibetan Buddhist ceremony to mark the end of retreat and thank the volunteers who supported the monks and nuns in their meditation practice, according to a press release.
It will run from 9:45 a.m. to 3:30 p.m. at the Abbey, 692 Country Lane outside of Newport. The day will include a guided meditation, a talk by abbess Ven. Thubten Chodron, a vegetarian potluck and an Lama Chopa offering ceremony.
The afternoon “Lama Chopa” ceremony is a religious celebration that includes recitations, Tibetan chanting, prayers, and sharing of food offerings.
Guests may come for the whole day of activities. According to a press release it is also OK for those less familiar with Buddhism to opt for attending only the morning meditation, talk, and lunch.
Sravasti Abbey offers Sharing the Dharma Day for people of all faiths and backgrounds to visit and learn more about Buddhism. Dress is casual; friendly curiosity and openness to learn are the only pre-requisites.
Upcoming Sharing the Dharma Day dates are May 7, June 4, July 9, and August 6. Fall/winter dates are as yet undecided.
- Gonzaga Lecture: Is this Global Warming? - February 11, 2018
- A First in America: Buddhist Master Teacher coming to Sravasti for historic trainining - January 21, 2018
- Spokane Women’s March ready for second year - January 13, 2018
- Retreat examines how to love people who bug you - January 7, 2018
- FāVS year in review: Hate groups, Women’s March, “Abortion isn’t Simple” - December 31, 2017
- Local Baha’is to meet monthly in 2018 - December 29, 2017
- Ring in the new year with a cultural service at Spokane Buddhist Temple - December 26, 2017
- Today’s Coffee Talk to focus on “The Role of Prayer” - December 1, 2017
- Tonight at Gonzaga: China’s Last Jesuit: Charles J. McCarthy - November 20, 2017
- Join SpokaneFāVS today for a Coffee Talk on “Unlearning Hate” - October 7, 2017