UPDATE Oct. 13, 2 p.m.
Thanks everyone who came out to today’s Coffee Talk! About 75 people attended. It was FāVS’ biggest Coffee Talk yet! About $145 was raised for the website.
More than 200,000 people have been killed in the Syrian Civil War and and millions have been forced to flee the country.
SpokaneFaVS will have a Coffee Talk discussion about the issue at 10 a.m., today at Indaba Coffee, 1425 W Broadway.
Coffee Talk is a monthly community forum featuring FāVS writers. The discussion typically centers around the faith and moral response to a current event.
Panelists will be:
- Admir Rasic, who grew up as a refugee in Germany, who wrote “The Roots of the Refugee Problem“
- Gifti Abbo, a second-generation Ethiopian American, who wrote, “How should we respond to migrants, refugees?“
- Guest panelist Stacy Taninchev, international relations professor at Gonzaga University and president of the Spokane chapter of the United Nations Association
- Guest panelist Mark Kadel, director of Word Relief Spokane, who wrote “You can help give hope to Syrian refugees here in Spokane“
All are invited to participate in Coffee Talk discussions.
The conversation will continue on Oct. 8 with an informal Pub Talk discussion at 6:30 p.m. at The Steam Plant.
- New name reflects an urban monastic setting created at West Central Abbey, vicar says - August 27, 2020
- ‘Interfaith’ work means everyone gets a seat at the table - August 17, 2020
- Launching a faith-based podcast during the pandemic - July 20, 2020
- Unitarian Universalist congregation in Spokane fractured over pastor’s approach - July 19, 2020
- FāVS Forward: Walter Kendricks, “Be The Change You’re Looking For” - July 10, 2020
- FāVS Forward: John VanderWalker “Conversations, Emerging Church & Fourth of July” - July 3, 2020
- FāVS Forward: Neal Schindler “Resiliency of Seniors” - June 27, 2020
- FāVS Forward: Rev. Gen Heywood “Together When We’re Apart” - June 20, 2020
- Look for the light, even though it’s hard to in 2020 - June 15, 2020
- FāVS Forward: Rev. Roger Hudson “Express Love in New Ways” - June 12, 2020