UPDATE Oct. 13, 2 p.m.
Thanks everyone who came out to today’s Coffee Talk! About 75 people attended. It was FāVS’ biggest Coffee Talk yet! About $145 was raised for the website.
More than 200,000 people have been killed in the Syrian Civil War and and millions have been forced to flee the country.
SpokaneFaVS will have a Coffee Talk discussion about the issue at 10 a.m., today at Indaba Coffee, 1425 W Broadway.
Coffee Talk is a monthly community forum featuring FāVS writers. The discussion typically centers around the faith and moral response to a current event.
Panelists will be:
- Admir Rasic, who grew up as a refugee in Germany, who wrote “The Roots of the Refugee Problem“
- Gifti Abbo, a second-generation Ethiopian American, who wrote, “How should we respond to migrants, refugees?“
- Guest panelist Stacy Taninchev, international relations professor at Gonzaga University and president of the Spokane chapter of the United Nations Association
- Guest panelist Mark Kadel, director of Word Relief Spokane, who wrote “You can help give hope to Syrian refugees here in Spokane“
All are invited to participate in Coffee Talk discussions.
The conversation will continue on Oct. 8 with an informal Pub Talk discussion at 6:30 p.m. at The Steam Plant.
- Venerable Geshe Thupten Phelgye has big plans for Institute of Universal Compassion - Nov 26, 2017
- Keep reading the uncomfortable stories and remember we’re all interconnected - Nov 18, 2017
- Sharing stories allows us to really know others - Oct 21, 2017
- Faith and Values: In grief, a chance to set aside differences - Sep 16, 2017
- Evangelical Lutheran Church in America’s Eastern Washington-Idaho Synod installs its first female bishop - Sep 15, 2017
- Second Sikh temple opens in Spokane Valley - Aug 27, 2017
- Episcopal Diocese of Spokane ordains new bishop - Mar 18, 2017
- On eve of ordination, Episcopal bishop speaks of compassion, unity and celebration - Mar 17, 2017
- Standing against anti-Semitism at this weekend’s Kosher Dinner - Mar 3, 2017
- Sravasti Abbey’s founder, Ven. Chodron, presented with global award - Feb 10, 2017